Chapter eleven

I ran out of the room towards the loop entrance, seeing Jake already waiting for me. "Hey..." I mumbled. He just entered the loop. "Look, I'm sorry I yelled at you like that. It's just that Emma already lost your grandpa..." I explained. "What do you mean, Amelia?" Jake spat. The only time he spat my name in a mocking way is when he's really mad at me. "Jake...your grandfather was in a relationship with Emma, and for her to say goodbye to his grandson is terrible for her." I told him as we walked out of the loop, back in 2016. "She was my grandpa's girlfriend?" Jake asked me surprised. I swallowed and nodded, looking at the ground. "It's fine...all you did was protecting her." he told me. I smiled and he hugged me. "I think it's time for us to go back to the pub. Your dad's going to kill us..." I whispered in his ear. "You're right." he whispered back. He took my hand and ran towards the pub, pulling me along.

We stopped running when we crossed a large meadow. Jake let go of my hand as we walked together in silence. "What the hell is going on?" I asked after a while. We approached a large group of people, including Jake's dad. "Jake? Jakey, there you are. Amelia! Thank God..." mister Portman said, slinging an arm over Jake's shoulder. "When I heard they found a body I freaked." He led us towards a wheelchair, which was toppled over. I gasped and I spun around, facing the other way. I didn't want to see who was dead. "Amy? Are you alright?" Jake asked me. I simply nodded, refusing to turn around. "You're lying." he replied, walking towards me. "C'mon, we need to see who it is." he said, slinging an arm around my shoulder.

The entire group walked towards the beach. There it was. Mister Oscar's body laid upon a rock. I couldn't look at it any longer. I hid my face into Jake's coat. He placed a comforting hand on my back, as did his father. "His eyes are missing!" someone shouted. "I'll phone the police." the sickening voice of Lamont replied. "Amy...did you hear that?" Jake asked me. I nodded, even more scared than I had been before. "Are there stray dogs around here?" mister Portman asked. "What're you talking about?" I heard Kevin say. "It's like...when they find an injured animal, they go for the soft parts first. Same thing happened to my father." Jake's dad stated, rubbing my back. "The police are on their way." Lamont told us.

"Look, dad, Amy and I've got to go!" Jake exclaimed, pulling me with him. "What? No. You don't, Jake. If this wasn't an accident, there's a crazy lunatic on the island." his dad replied, clearly concerned. "I've known everyone on this island my whole life. Except you, and him." Kevin sneered, pointing towards us and Lamont. "And he's been in the pub all afternoon." "So have I. I was sleeping." Jake's dad told Kevin. "What about the blind fellow?" Lamont questioned. "I mean, I assumed he was blind. Gentleman with the dark glasses, arrived on the same ferry as me? I kept seeing him around." he said.

"Now." I whispered. Jake and I ran for our lives, towards the loop. We heard mister Portman shouting our names as he followed us, but we didn't listen. All we did was run and run.