Chapter III - Birds of A Feather

Still Three Years Ago

A few weeks later the school was over, and I still couldn't get him out of my mind. I had been mulling about this over and over again in my head. I was known to be stubborn and I wasn't a quitter. I always went after things that I wanted and right then I decided that Darius Ivanovic Rykov was what I wanted.

Genesis fully supported me on this. Right after graduation, Genesis and the lycans were planning to go back to Russia for a little while. They invited me to go along, with a hint that a certain gorgeous blond lycan would be there. Well, that's enough to persuade me. Actually, they didn't even have to say that to convince me to go. I didn't have any plan beyond high school. I was hoping that I would have met my mate already by then and we'd be too busy making babies or something. Not life's greatest plan, but that's Penny Ruiz's life plan.

Anyway, that's how I find myself standing in the middle of my bed chamber in Banehallow Palace, Russia. I'm all decked up in Sue Wong's strapless purple dress. The bodice is exquisitely embroidered and beaded, while the gown is a full feather. A pair of four-inch feathered white Jimmy Choo stilettos graces my feet.

The stylist and the ladies who did my hair and make-up just left and I'm standing here by myself staring at my reflection in the mirror.

The lady who did my hair, Olga dried, combed, brushed, and hot ironed my short dark hair till it framed my face in straight shiny cascade down to my chin. She then added a dark purple Great Gatsby's flapper hair band with shiny beads across my forehead and soft white and purple feathers on the side.

They're holding a party for Constantine and Genesis, and the return of Caspian, Lazarus, and Serena. I was told that Darius is going to be there. This is going be the first time I get to see Darius again after that first time.

There's a brief knock on my door and Genesis breezes in even before I tell her to come in. Her wonderful familiar scent wafts in the air along with a light flowery smell of an expensive perfume. She's looking glamorous and breathtaking in a peacock green and gold dress. Beautiful peacock feathers adorned the length of her long dress. More peacock feathers in her red hair which is swept up into an elaborate updo with a few wispy tendrils framing her flawless face.

She is followed closely by Serena. Serena's looking stunning in a long red flowing strapless silk dress with a slit that went up all the way to her thigh, showing off her perfect long tanned leg every time she takes a step. The bodice of her dress is covered in soft red feathers. Her bright red lips match her dress. Her golden blond hair is swept up to the side, leaving one shoulder bare. She has feathers weaved cleverly in her hair with three red feathers stuck out dramatically at an angle.

"You look breathtaking!" exclaims Genesis as she takes my hand in hers and twirls me around.

"Look who's talking," I laugh. "You two look absolutely gorgeous! I feel like a purple bird."

"A beautiful purple bird," chimes in Serena.

Together, we walk out to meet Constantine and Lazarus who are waiting for us in the grand hallway just outside the ballroom. Our entrance is different from everyone else's since the left wing of the castle is reserved only for the crown Prince Caspian, Prince Constantine, and his mate Genesis, Lazarus and Serena, and now, a little old me too....for some reason.

Lazarus only has eyes for Serena, but he spared me a look after complimenting and kisses his mate affectionately on her cheek.

"You look absolutely beautiful, Penny," he smiles, offering me one of his arms while Serena is hanging onto his other arm.

"Yes, you look gorgeous," agrees Constantine, giving me a little bow.

"Thank you," I smile. "You guys cleaned up pretty well yourselves. Could be better, but ehhh...not too shabby."