Chapter 8

Daryl came up behind you and wrapped his arms around your waist, hovering his head over your shoulder. You placed your hands over his, cocking your head to the side to reveal your neck to him. Daryl connected his lips to your neck gently, kissing it with care. Just as Daryl's hands started to wander, you pulled yourself out of his grip.

"It's getting late, I should head home. I'm sure you have a full day tomorrow too, get some rest." You said, leaving Daryl hanging on the edge.

Daryl breathed in sharply, staring at you as you shuffled into your shoes and made your way to his front door with a devious grin across your face.

"We ain't done here, (y/n), I'll get ya tomorrow." He said with almost a sadness.

You waved as you left his house, shutting the door behind yourself. You lived about a block from Daryl's place but the walk wasn't unpleasant. A cooling breeze came in from the west and the sun was setting. The perfect fade of colors in the sky seemed so peaceful and as if nothing ever changed in the world. The petite wildflowers along the grass waved gently in the wind, reflecting different hues of yellows, reds and purples. The trees shuttered and dropped leaves into the breeze, carrying them off across the land. It was nice to appreciate the little things every once in a while.

Stepping into your house, you let out a deep sigh. Bad boys were troubling then and now, huh? Always falling for them and always being let down. Daryl was a strong, reliable man and even though his attitude was a bit undesirable, that redneck charm made up for it. But, things wouldn't work out between you two. He wasn't the type that could settle, right? Guys like that chew girls up and spit them out and move on all in one night.

You know what, things were good. You weren't head over heels for Daryl and he probably wasn't into you like that anyway, and that's okay! The sex was good and that's perfectly fine.

That's perfectly fine.

You need some time to think all this stuff through. A walk could help, especially on such a beautiful night. Heading upstairs to your bedroom, you changed out of your flannel and into a big knit sweater. The soft lilac color was soothing. A pair of shoes more suitable for walking before you left again and you were off.

You kept your arms crossed as you walked, staring blankly at the ground as you stayed deep in thought. Not only Daryl was crossing your mind, but men in general. If not Daryl, then who? You wanted a child before the world came crumbling down, but now seeing Rick struggle with his baby, was it worth it? And another thing,-

You were interrupted by a voice behind you.

"Hey, (y/n)! Wait up a second, will ya?"

Glenn, who doesn't love Glenn.

"Yeah, what do you need?" You asked, turned to face him.

"Rick said Carl hopped the fence with Enid again. Can you come with us to get them back? It's okay if you can't, I can a-"

"I can come, no problem. Are we leaving now?" You cut him off, but he didn't need to finish that sentence.

"Yup, Rick is at Daryl's asking if he'll come too and then we're off." He said, walking alongside you to the gate.

Carl was a handful to say the least, especially when he was paired with Enid. Maybe she was a bad influence on him, but she made him happy and it was never that hard to find them when they ran off, just tedious. They usually went to the same couple of spots in the woods, some places more frequently than others. Hopefully, being as late as it is, they would be reasonably close. Hopefully.

You and Glenn waited by the gates for Rick and Daryl to join you. As much as you didn't really want to see Daryl right now, it would have been too rude to not help out. The wait wasn't too long before the second pair met up with you at the gates and then you were off into the moonlit forest.