Chapter 1: Instant

Alexa smiled as she looked at her housemates dancing seductively with the men they've just met. They were inside Dance Freedom, a posh bar on Harvard Square. At kahit nakangiti sya at parang nag-i-enjoy, ang totoo ay inaantok na sya. Hindi nya alam kung bakit ang ingay naman sa loob ng bar at puno naman ng taong nagsasaya ay inaantok pa rin sya. She saw Michelle, her blond, Business Management roommate, roam her hands all over the guy's chest and she arched her brow. Ang wild talaga ng babaeng to. She thought as she looked away. Alexa's a nerd and she loves being one. She's an ordinary twenty-one year old girl na mahilig magbasa, mag-aral at masaya nang kumakain ng popcorn habang nanunuod ng reruns sa TV. Mas gusto nya ng simpleng buhay, walang komplikasyon at walang sakit sa ulo.  

"Attorney Lianna Alexa Carbonel, why so boring?" Michelle asked with a pout. "Girl, seriously you look like an old maid sitting there by yourself!" 

"Michelle, I'm having fun!" Alexa answered unconvincingly. Hindi talaga sya mahilig sa bar at parties. She's not a big fan of clubs, noise and crowd but she thought one night of clubbing wouldn't hurt her. "Go back there and dance, your partner's waiting for you!" She shouted over the noise with a smile.  

"Jeez." Michelle said before she sashayed back to her partner. Ano ba to, kelan ba matatapos tong gabing to? Alexa thought feeling bored. She saw Sheila, her Comparative Literature roommate, and she nearly choked on her juice when Sheila's partner's hand crawled under her roommate's skirt. Mas wild pa pala tong isang to. She murmured to herself. Alexa and her roommates are as opposite as night and day but she and the girls are actually very close -- they let her study and she lets them party and borrow some of her shoes and clothes.  

"Alexa, what the hell girl? Come over here and shake some booty!" Sheila shouted and Alexa smiled and shook her head. "You sure?" She yelled again and Alexa nodded her head the second time. Sheila rolled her eyes and left her partner on the dance floor as she slid on the seat beside Alexa. 

"Alexa, baby I know you're Filipino and such and you have your values and whatnots but you just topped the bar! Gracious, girl! Get laid, have fun, lose that virginity for Pete's sake! You're bound to lose it anyway, why not lose it early?"  

"I want to lose it to someone special." Alexa replied with a wink and Sheila rolled her eyes heavenwards. 

"Girl, someone special? No man is special; all they want to do is lie between your legs and fuck your brains out! You might as well enjoy the experience!" She lectured as she lit a cigarette. "That's why they invented condoms, girl so women like us can have fun, fun fun!" She grinned as she puffed the smoke away from Alexa's face. Fun, fun, fun until you get attached at wala ka nang gagawin kundi umiyak pagkatapos. 

"Come on, I like it when you don't care why the sudden change?" Alexa teased and Sheila made a face.  

"You're the only pretty girl sitting alone, you look pitiful." She replied as they watch Michelle walk towards them.  

"Don't nag her too much Sheila angel, she might sue you." Michelle said laughing as she took a gulp from her glass.  

"This girl is no fun!" Sheila complained for the millionth time since they shared a flat and Michelle laughed.  

"Let her, she's purity's last stand. Aint you, Alexa baby?" She joked as she smiled seductively at the guy sitting from across them.  

"Now that's mean." Alexa replied. "I should just have stayed home and packed."  

"What else is there to pack? You've packed like weeks ago! But I do love you for giving me that white and pink Louis Vuitton bag I adored!" Sheila muttered laughing gaily.