Chapter 3: Entwined

Alexa was whisked to the hospital immediately when she set foot on Philippine soil. She was very tired after her 17-hour flight but she didn't complain. Aalis din naman ako after one week. She thought. No other than her father's loyal assistant, Manong Edgardo, came to fetch her from the airport. The old man looked grim and Alexa suddenly grew worried.  

"Kumusta po si... Daddy?" She asked as soon as the chauffer closed the limo's door.  

"Hindi maganda ang kalagayan nya." Manong Edgardo replied. 

"Pero bakit po nya ako hinahanap?" She inquired. What happened to his other family? She was tempted to add but held her tongue knowing that the question would upset the old man.  

"Bakit hindi ka nya hahanapin? You are, after all, his daughter." He answered and Alexa chose not to answer. "Wala na si Francesca." Manong Edgardo said. "Namatay sya kasama nung batang pinagbubuntis nya." He added and Alexa quietly nodded her head. She used to hate Francesca, the young French model her father cheated her mother with, but fifteen years is after all fifteen years. Hindi na ganun kasama ang loob nya at wala na syang pakialam. "Meron kang bunsong kapatid."  

"Maliban dun sa isa ko pang kapatid?" She asked with a bitter smile. "Daddy sure is prolific."  

"Miss Lianna..."  

"Manong Edgardo, please, alam natin kung gaano ka babaero si Daddy. His womanizing activities were legendary kaya di ako nagulat sa balita nyo."  

"Nasa hospital ang ate mong si Lia at ang bunso mong kapatid na si Lee Ann." Ano bang meron kay Daddy at lahat kaming anak nya ay nakasunod ang pangalan sa pangalan nya. "Hinihintay nya ang pagdating mo. Alam mo bang pinauwi nya ng maaga lahat ng empleyado ng kumpanya nung nalaman nyang nag top ka sa bar?" The old man informed her with a smile and Alexa couldn't stop the lightning sharp pain that she felt in her chest. Pinauwi nya ng maaga? Hindi nga sya nagpakita nung graduation ko. She blinked her eyes repeatedly suddenly remembering the loneliness she felt when no parent went up the stage with her to pin her medal. "Proud na proud ang Daddy mo sayo." Manong Edgardo added and Alexa tried to smile but felt her eyes well up.  

"Malayo pa po ba tayo?" She asked trying to change the subject as she blinked her eyes to ward off her tears.  

"Medyo, matraffic na kasi."  

"Okay po."  

"Alam mo bang tuwang-tuwa ang Daddy mo nung nalaman nyang maglo-Law ka. Wala na syang bukambibig kundi ikaw. Ang saya nya kasi meron na daw magmamana ng pinakamalaking Law Firm sa buong bansa-"  

"Hindi po ako ang magmamana." Alexa cut him off. "Hindi naman po ako dito titira. Nandito lang po ako para dalawin sya." She said and the old man's face fell. Alexa suddenly felt guilty. "Besides, it isn't possible to practice my profession here since I graduated abroad."  

"Naisip po yan ng Daddy ninyo kaya naman po humingi sya ng tulong sa Ninong ninyo. Meron lang po kayong ico-comply na requirements at kailangan nyo lang mag-enrol sa ilang Philippine law subjects bago kayo makakuha ng Bar Exam dito sa Pilipinas." He proudly announced and Alexa felt her anger surface. How typical of Atty. Leandro Carbonel to mess with other people's lives! She gritted her teeth and lowered her gaze as she tried to control her temper.  

"Are we near?" She asked after minutes of silence.  

"Opo, Miss Lianna."  

"Manong, I would rather that you call me Alexa, hindi po ako sanay sa Lianna. At wag nyo na po akong tawaging Miss kasi naiilang po ako. Ayoko rin po na nagpo-po kayo sa akin."  

"Pero, kayo po ang tagapagmana ni Atty. Carbonel-"  

"I am just a nobody. I am merely Alexa Carbonel whose father left when I was six and whose mother died when I was eighteen. I don't want to be called Miss and I don't want to be treated like I'm a returning heiress because frankly speaking, aside from my Harvard diploma, I have nothing."