fourteen

WE make a quick stop at our hotel room to drop off the souvenirs we bought for our parents.

After that, we head for the Monorail. Gray's been itching to go on the Gyrosphere. I have no idea what the hell those are, but Zach says that they're like dinosaur hamster balls.

So you could say that I'm both curious and nervous. 

While we we're waiting at the Monorail hub, Karen calls again to check in. "She wants to talk to you," Zach says, passing the phone off to Gray.

Of course, Gray answers the phone with enthusiasm. He goes onto a descriptive rant about all that we've seen so far.

The line is still a bit long, meaning we'll have to wait a little to board the train. Since Zach doesn't have his phone to keep him occupied – I swear he's addicted to the stupid thing – he has absolutely no patience for waiting.

I'm trying to send a text to my Mom about the Mosasaurus when he kicks at my foot. "Hey," he says.

"What?" I side-step to avoid his next kick.

"I'm bored."

"That's unfortunate."

"Let's have a thumb war."

I look up from my phone in disbelief. "What?"

"You heard me." He holds out his hand. "Or are you too scared?"

I roll my eyes. "No way. I'd totally beat you – but I don't have to face off against you to prove it." Still, I tuck my phone into my shirt pocket.

"You talk a big game for someone so small." He wiggles his thumb.

My hand slides into his waiting one, fingers curving around his. "How tall are you, exactly?"

Zach frowns. "Around six foot. Why?"

"No reason." I feign a straight face as I shake my head. "I just didn't know that they stacked shit that high."

He narrows his eyes playfully. "Okay, you're on."

"Bring it, Mitchell."

We complete the standard opening chant: "One, two, three, four; I declare a thumb war!"

Then we hold our thumbs straight up, daring the other person to make a move first.

"What are you waiting for, hm?" Zach teases. "Go ahead and make your move."

"Nah, you."

"Ladies first."

I laugh. "Now you're going to be a gentleman?"

Zach smirks. "It's only fair. After all, you said that it would be so easy to beat me. I want you to prove it."

"Like I said before, I don't have to prove anything."

"Then why did you accept the challenge?" He teases. "'Cause if you lose now, it'll just be embarrassing."

"I'm not going to lose," I say confidently. "And the only reason I accepted is because you're so annoying."

"Uh huh, sure."

Very quickly, I dart out, trying to hook my thumb around the side of his and bring him down. He's holding back a stuttering laugh, tilting his arm slightly as he slips out of my hold and swiftly tries to overcome me.

"No, no, no, no, no!" I squeal, maneuvering back into my original position. "You're not going to get me that easy."

"I almost did."

"No, you didn't. That's just what I wanted you to think." I smile at him. "You're going to have to try harder than that."

"Ditto, short-stack."

I wriggle my thumb mockingly. "Come and get me, shmuck."

"If you insist..." His thumb presses down on the tip of mine, trying to get it to bend beneath his. "Come on, Jonelle, you know you can't beat me."

"You underestimate my power!" I bellow, slipping out of his attempt. Then I let out a shriek as he uses his other hand to poke my side. "Stop, Zach, that's cheating!"

"No it's not! You didn't make any rules at the start of the game, so it goes."

I scoff. "What kind of logic is that?" I narrowly evade another jab. "Quit it, seriously. That's not fair."

"Life's not fair. Besides, I'm playing to win."

I grumble. "Zach-"

He reaches out again and I twist away. As I'm doing this, he nearly gets the upper-hand.

I can't lose. So, I cross the line a little.

I stomp on his foot. Pretty hard, I might add.

"Ouch!" Zach howls. "Son of a bitch!"

In his moment of pain, I take his huge thumb beneath mine and hold it for five seconds.

"I win!" I laugh.

"You cheated!" Zach whines. He pulls his hand away from mine. I fight a frown. I like holding his hand. A lot more than I should for someone who is just best friends with the guy.

I shake my head. "There were no rules, remember?" I giggle and dare him to object.

He presses his tongue against his cheek. "Okay. So that's how you want to play. All right." He grabs for my hand. "Let's go again."

"Oh, no," I giggle, holding my hands behind my back.

Zach raises his eyebrows, a smile on his face. "Yes."

"No!" I step back. He steps forward. I turn one way. He turns another. "No, Zach!" I'm laughing uncontrollably.

He's a little faster than me. When I try to run around him, he reaches out and snags my hand. He gives it a light squeeze. "Come on," he says. "My pride is wounded."

"That'll do your ego some good," I tease. "Maybe let some of that hot air out."

Zach just beams. He pulls me closer, still holding my hand. "You scared to lose?"

"Not at all. I just won, didn't I?"

"Here."

We both turn to see Gray, who is holding the phone out with a frown on his face. He looks like he's about to cry. He blankly gazes at our hands, still joined together.

I let go of Zach's hand immediately. I regret it just as suddenly. Even more so when I see how Zach's face drops.

"Gray," I call his name gently. "What's wrong?"

He doesn't answer. The Monorail has begun to board. He pushes his way through the crowd and onto the train, not waiting for me or Zach.