twenty-three

"WHY did you never say anything?"

We've been walking for about an hour and a half, trying to find our way out of the jungle and back to civilization. Gray has drifted up ahead slightly, proudly looking back every now and then to make sure that we're following him.

I'd love to smack that smug smile off his face. I'm a bit too preoccupied right now, though.

"I don't know." I shrug, staring at my feet as I trudge through grass. "I just thought it would never happen. You were with Kelly, and when you weren't, you were flirting with other girls."

"You know why I'm with Kelly," Zach says quickly. "I'm not even really with her-"

"Yeah, you're just buried balls deep in her every Friday night." I roll my eyes.

Zach scoffs. "No need to sound so bitter. It's not like that will be happening anymore."

I snort. "What makes you say that?"

He bumps my arm with his elbow. "I've always wanted to be with you. I just never thought you were interested."

"Why is it on me to show interest?" I ask harshly. "You could've showed a little interest in me. Maybe then I would've found the balls to tell you sooner."

"None of my signals were going through."

"You mean flirting with other girls in front of me? Or telling me about the different ways you banged Kelly?"

He throws his hands in the air. "I was trying to make you jealous. If you want to be mad at someone for the way I chose to express my feelings, then be mad at the Wiki-How article I read."

Another eye roll from yours truly. "You should know better than to trust Wikipedia. They always tell us at school that it's not a very reliable source."

Now he rolls his eyes. "You should know that I don't listen at school."

"Not just at school."

"Hey." His fingers brush mine. "Can you please stop busting my balls for five seconds?"

I let out an exaggerated sigh. "I guess."

His fingers tickle mine again.

"If you want to hold my hand, just do it, idiot."

"Fine. I guess I will." He snatches my little hand into his large one. "There. Now I'm holding your hand. Are you happy?"

"...I would be happier if you dropped the attitude."

He scoffs and shakes his head. "If anything, you need to drop yours. Look, I get it, okay? I fucked up. But now..." He pauses like he doesn't know how to describe the current situation. "At least now we're together."

"Who says that we're together?" I can't help it. I love to tease the shit out of this kid. "I never heard you ask me out."

"You're joking."

"Am I laughing?"

"Jonelle," he groans.

"Zach," I mock, grinning the entire time.

"You're seriously going to make me as you out? Is it not enough that I just chewed your ass out about how much I care about you? Or that I tackled you off the side of a cliff to get away from a dinosaur so that you wouldn't die?"

I laugh. "Sorry, asshole. You're not getting out of this. Be romantic for once in your life."

He rolls his eyes. "You don't even like romantic comedies, much less straight up romance. Why the hell-"

"I do too like romantic comedies! I just don't like watching them with you because you bitch the whole time!"

Zach makes a face. "No I don't."

I nod. "You do. Your nose wrinkles and you scowl."

"I have never scowled in my life."

"Bull shit! You're scowling right now!"

He throws his free hand in the air. "That's because this is ridiculous! All I want to do is be your freakin' boyfriend and hold you tiny-ass hand and kiss you and make you stupid-happy. You're acting like you need me to fill out an application or some shit."

A massive grin nearly splits my face in two. I duck my head slightly to keep him from seeing.

He doesn't take this the right way, of course. He's Zach, after all.

"Hello? Are you listening to me?" He tugs me to a stop. I can feel his eyes on me: intense, ardent, firm. "Jonelle."

"Yeah, I'm listening," I say, biting my lower lip. I'm smiling too hard; it feels like I'm going to explode.

"Then look at me."

"No."

He turns towards me now. His hand leaves mine so he can cross his arms. "Why the hell not?"

I decide to be truthful. There's no reason to lie anymore. "Because if I look at you right now, then I'll probably kiss you."

Zach sputters for a second. "Is that a bad thing?"

"When you're still involved with Kelly? Maybe."

He sighs. "Fuck Kelly. She's not important. You know why she and I were together." He comes closer, the tips of his shoes touching mine. "As soon as I can, I'll tell her that we're done, okay?"

I nod, keeping my eyes downcast. My heart is pounding in my chest; I can hear my pulse in my ears. I'm very aware of the sweat on my skin and the heat radiating from Zach's body (which, for the record, is less than three inches away).

The gravity of the situation is finally setting in. Zach likes me. He wants me in the same way that I want him. And right now I could kiss him and he would kiss me back.

It's weird, too, because we're stuck in the middle of a jungle with a killer dinosaur on the loose and Gray a few feet away.

But the more I over-think it and I tell myself that we shouldn't, the more I'm like 'fuck it.'

"On a scale of one to ten, how hard would you punch me if I were to just kiss you anyway?" Zach asks softly.

"Depends on how good of a kisser you are," I retort. I dare to raise my face enough to look him in the eyes, just to see that he's grinning.

"I'm a great kisser," he assures me.

I snicker. "Oh, I'm sure, you hoe. You've had loads of practice by now."

He rolls his eyes. "So about that kiss..."

"Zach..."

"I get it. You're a four when it comes to kissing and I'm a ten and you're embarrassed. It's fine. I can help you get better-"

"Shut up, oh my God. If you're going to kiss me, then do it already."

It's a little awkward at first, if I'm being perfectly honest. I've known Zach since I was a little stinker. I saw the kid grow up. He's been my best friend for most of my life. Now he's staring at me with such sweet eyes and his long fingers are gently touching my cheek and his face is edging closer to mine.

My breath hitches when his lips barely graze mine. I find myself smiling when he hesitates, like he's still afraid that I'm going to sock him.

Tenderly, I place my hand on the back of his neck and coax him, let him know that it's okay.

Then he kisses me.