Scene 5 Beer in the Pantry

Sc. 5 INT - KITCHEN - FARMHOUSE - NIGHT 

Brigid peeks around the door jamb and glares from the shadows of the hallway. 

Lachlan and Hamish are squeezed into the floor of the pantry. The DVD player is set up on the lowest shelf, the credits rolling on some film. Hamish takes a single ear-bud headphone from his ear, stands and stretches. Lachlan is still sitting staring at the tiny screen. 

HAMISH: Come on Lach, wake up and go to bed. 

Hamish gives Lachlan a prod with his foot. 

HAMISH: Hey, Lach? 

Brigid's eyes widen in concern. Hamish bends down and shakes Lachlan. Lachlan doesn't wake. Brigid runs to her brother. 

BRIGID: Lachie? 

HAMISH: Where'd you come from? 

Brigid sees empty chip packets and beer tins on the floor under the lowest shelf. 

BRIGID: Did Lachie have any of that? 

HAMISH: Beer? Yeah. So? 

BRIGID: His diabetes! He can't drink beer! 

HAMISH: Beer's not sweet. 

BRIGID: It's not just ABOUT sweet. 

Brigid makes for the door. Hamish grabs her arm. 

HAMISH: Where are you going? 

BRIGID: I've got to get Mom. 

HAMISH: They'll kill us! 

BRIGID: You shouldn't have given him beer! 

HAMISH: I didn't force him to drink it. I didn't want him to drink it!  It's MY stash! This is MY house! 

Lachlan stirs. 

BRIGID: Lachie? You okay? 

Lachlan struggles to his feet and swoons a little. Hamish steadies him and tries not to look relieved. 

HAMISH: He's just a little drunk. 

Lachlan puts a hand on his stomach. 

LACHLAN: I feel sick. 

BRIGID: I'll get Mom. 

LACHLAN: No! Stop fussing! It's just the beer. 

HAMISH: We will be in so much trouble if you wake Auntie Julia... 

Brigid considers the situation. Her eyes fall on the jug sitting on the draining board. 

BRIGID: The Green Chapel. 

HAMISH: What? 

BRIGID: The water from the Green Chapel, it heals doesn't it - headaches and things? 

HAMISH: Yeah - we use it all the time. 

BRIGID: Right. We'll get him some of that, if it doesn't work, we wake Mom? Okay? 

HAMISH: Okay. 

LACHLAN (woozy): What are we doing?