Scene 39 Brigid finds her strength

Sc. 39 EXT - FOREST OF THE HUNT - DAY 

Brigid and the Lord of the Hunt are some way into the forest. He walks slowly to allow for her little legs. 

LORD OF THE HUNT: The Shadowkeeper is an ancient and powerful being, you are a child with no training or experience in these matters. I cannot, in all conscience allow you to continue in your quest. 

Brigid stops. 

BRIGID: B-but I killed the stag... 

LORD OF THE HUNT: Yes, you did, eventually. Your compassion for me was admirable but it did not recommend you to me as a Champion. 

BRIGID: But the Blackbird - 

LORD OF THE HUNT: The Blackbird allowed you to walk this realm and provided you with a means to leave it - that is the extent of his authority. Know that your brother does not suffer and return to your mother so that she need not grieve for both of her children. 

BRIGID: What? No. No! I'm going to save him! 

LORD OF THE HUNT: Do you really believe yourself capable of defeating the Shadowkeeper? 

BRIGID: I don't need to defeat her! I just have to find Lachie and give him one of these berries. 

LORD OF THE HUNT: And you think she will simply stand aside and allow that? 

BRIGID: Well, no but...I don't care. I'll die trying if I have to! 

LORD OF THE HUNT: You will die if you try! Eat the white berry, Brigid, return to your mother. 

BRIGID: NO! I'm not leaving him without at least trying to save him! 

The antlered man's eyes flame with anger and he looms darkly against the Sun. 

LORD OF THE HUNT: Do not mistake kindness for weakness, child! I could take your life-force to the Afterworld now! 

He extends a hand and the borders of her Shadow-body grow fuzzy. Brigid GASPS as several tiny points of light begin to float from her hands. She trembles but juts her chin and meets his blazing gaze. 

BRIGID: Well you'll have to because I'm not leaving without my brother!... 

The escaping life-force hovers for a moment, then begins to return to her Shadow-body. 

BRIGID: ...And...and if you don't want to help me, that's fine - 

The Lord of the Hunt watches, astonished, as the little girl manages to hold on to her life-force by sheer force of personality. 

BRIGID: I got through the gateway without the Blackbird's help and I'll find my brother without yours! Just, just, let me keep going. I won't ask for anything else.

The antlered man lowers his hand. 

LORD OF THE HUNT: You are ... impressive, Brigid Taylor - and the Shadowkeeper has taken too many souls from the Cycle of Being before their time. If you were to succeed... 

Brigid watches him hopefully. 

LORD OF THE HUNT: Very well, attempt your rescue, but you must make me a promise. If you have not succeeded by midday tomorrow, you will not risk yourself any further and you will eat the berry and return to your mother. She will need you. 

BRIGID: No... I- 

LORD OF THE HUNT: In the solid world, your brother's body is frail, Brigid. If you have not reached the Shadowkeeper's stronghold by Hunt's End tomorrow, Lachlan will be beyond rescuing. Do you understand? 

BRIGID: Yes. I promise I'll return if I don't make it. Where is her stronghold? 

LORD OF THE HUNT: I do not know. 

BRIGID: What?! 

LORD OF THE HUNT: She moved beyond my forests many centuries ago. Seek out the Callie Oiche, she will be able to help you. 

BRIGID: The Callie who? 

The Lord of the Hunt smiles but does not answer. 

LORD OF THE HUNT: Good luck, Brigid Taylor, and remember your promise. 

He turns from her and glides back through the trees toward the glade. 

BRIGID: Wait! Who is this 'callie oyk'...?

He ignores her. 

BRIGID: How do I find her!? 

Picking up speed, The Lord changes, once again, into a Stag and gallops up into the air above the glade. Brigid stamps in frustration. 

RAVEN: I was right about you, then. 

Brigid looks up to see the Raven landing on a branch nearby. 

BRIGID: Oh. You. How was your meal? 

RAVEN: Now don't be like that - natural part of life, death is. At least I look it in the eye before I peck it out, you humans wouldn't even know what kind of animal you're eating 

BRIGID: Alright! Alright! I'm sorry. What were you right about? 

The Raven hops off his branch and perches on Brigid's shoulder. 

RAVEN: You're special. 

BRIGID: I'm lost is what I am. Is it one of the rules of this place to tell me who to find but not how to find them? 

The Raven shoots her a meaningful wink. 

RAVEN: You're learning. 

Brigid sighs. 

BRIGID: Great. 

RAVEN: Don't go losing confidence now. You resisted the call of The Lord of the Hunt! I'll be telling that tale for a long time! 

BRIGID: I suppose it's against the rules for you to just take me to this Callie... what's-it? 

RAVEN: 'Callie Oiche' it's Gaelic - means Wise Woman of the Night and, no, I can't take you to her... 

Brigid smiles slyly at the note in his voice, 

BRIGID: But...? 

RAVEN: There's nothing to say she can't come to you. 

The Raven flutters off into the woods. Brigid scampers after him.