34: "Maybe she's changed."

Chapter 34 - "Maybe she's changed."

**Dedicated to itsmeblairhoopsy because (although she probably didn't realise it at the time!) one of her comments could not have been more relevant for this chapter: it's all abour how physical appearances can be deceiving, honesty between people you love, and accepting someone for who they are today.**

I was woken up on Christmas Day by Nathan gently poking me.  

"Wake up," he was whispering. "It's Christmas!" 

I groaned and rolled over away from him, burying my face in the pillow. I didn't know what time it was, but it felt far too early.  

"Bella!" Nathan hissed. "Get up!" 

"What time is it?" I moaned, resisting his efforts to pull me back round to face him.  

"Eight! That's a perfectly reasonable time! Stop being so lazy!" 

I rubbed at my eyes and yawned. When my eyes finally focused on Nathan, he had a look of pure excitement on his face.  

"You're acting like a little boy. I've never seen you so excited!" 

"Bella, if you can't muster up excitement for just one day of the year then your life is seriously lacking something." 

"Yeah, like sleep," I said dryly, forcing myself to sit up in the bed in an attempt to wake myself up more.  

The last few days in Italy had been jam-packed and exciting. Together with our families, we'd explored Rome and returned each night exhausted and ready for bed. Nathan had always been a good tour guide, and him and Peter made the perfect team. I guess I just hadn't quite caught up on sleep yet.  

"I want to give you your present," Nathan beamed.  

"Can you give me chance to wake up first?" I requested, yawning.  

"Well, Bella, if you're going to be ungrateful..." he teased.  

I laughed and reached over for my glass of water. After a few sips, I was feeling slightly more refreshed and accepting of Nathan's keen attitude towards Christmas morning.  

"Are we not doing presents with your family?" I asked, accepting the rectangular shaped present that he handed me.  

"Yeah, family presents, but I thought we could do ours privately," he replied.  

I gave him a sceptical look. "You've not bought me something rude and inappropriate, have you?" 

He laughed at that. "No, don't worry. I've got more tact than that. I'll save those presents for Valentine's day." 

I shot him a sarcastic smirk and started to unwrap the present in my lap. It appeared to be a jewellery box and my heart sped up with excitement at the thought of it. With nimble fingers, I carefully prised open the box and gasped at the beautiful necklace inside.  

"Oh, Nathan, it's beautiful!" 

He smiled. "Maybe I got it the wrong way round. Maybe I should have given you the jewellery for Valentine's Day and the kinky things for Christmas." 

I assumed he was just making jokes because he was nervous about me liking it. As I removed the necklace from the box, I rested it against the palm of my hand to inspect it more intently. Every time the light caught it, the diamonds sparkled. And, knowing Nathan, I had no doubt that they were real diamonds. Upon looking closer, I saw that the diamonds formed the shape of a tiny 'N'. It was so small that you'd only truly notice it if you were very close or carefully examining the necklace.