Blind Beauty | 16

Dedication goes to SwirlingColours because she became my 600th follower (so long ago ugh)!

 MADE SOMETHING---------->

Chapter Dieciseis

Absolutely not,” interrupted her grandma, slight shock lacing through her voice. “There’s no way either of you are going to practice your abilities, much less in the palace!” She scoffed. “You got to be out of your mind.”

Ember sighed. “But grandma—”

“But grandma nothing, Ember. There are great dangers in this palace. Faes that have preying eyes and big mouths. You know that.” Her grandma’s voice sounded disappointed, like they both should definitely know better.

Arlette sighed silently. It was true. They couldn’t risk themselves like that. No one knew of their abilities. No one should.

But...

Aaron.

He knew what Arlette was capable of doing so far. Yet Arlette was somehow sure that he wouldn’t expose her like that. Arlette knew he would do anything but betray her.

“You can’t trust anyone. Not even your own shadow,” added her grandma.

But Arlette knew she could trust Aaron. There was no question to that.

Under all these thoughts there was but one question that made her skin prickle and her eyes burn. She didn’t know if to ask. Maybe she was afraid of asking, or maybe she was afraid of the answer. But it would be stupid to get her hopes up. After so many shattered things, adding something more to the pile was just out the situation. The question had come crashing to her mind like a wild, restless bird. Fast and confused. Afraid of the question and the answer. But she might as well try.

Arlette swallowed. “Am...I able to heal myself?” She faced her grandma. “My...eyes?”

Arlette wished she hadn’t asked. The silence that followed her question was heavy and tense. She shouldn’t have asked anything. She was getting too far ahead of herself, just as she had thought. It was true, she had these buried abilities and all, but maybe she should have waited longer to ask. Arlette herself  knew that, but she couldn’t just pass up the wonder that was eating her senses.

“Oh Arlette, there’s the catch.” Ember said quietly, her voice poignant. “If you are born with a ‘flaw’ you can’t fix it.”

Arlette inhaled and nodded understandably. So much for trying. She knew her fate—her destiny was to be the way it had always been and  had to be. She couldn’t alter it or change it, but live with it and bear it. And it didn’t bother her. It didn’t bother her that she couldn’t heal herself—her eyes. She was just curious like she had always been. Even though her sister’s answer triggered and pulled something at her heart, it was okay. Hiding her feelings was better than let them burst out and let them know how she was feeling about this. Plus, she couldn’t truly show her emotions. Not anymore. They would stand out on the outside—something Arlette couldn’t let happen.

“I’m sorry, Arlette.” her grandma whispered.

Arlette smiled. “It’s okay, grandma. I was just curious.”