Chapter Forty Three

COCO

There was atleast a week worth of food in the fridge and the pantry which told me that we'd be staying here longer than I thought. Ang nasa isip ko, babalikan din kami ng yacht bukas pero mukhang mali iyon.

I watched as Anais pranced around the kitchen as she prepared our dinner for us. Whatever she was making, it smelled nice. Napabuntong-hininga na lang ako habang nanonood sa kanya. This is what it would look like if Anais and I ever got married. We'd live in one house together with our son and she'd be busy making dinner at night for Cookie and I. I'd wake up next to her and her face would be the first thing I see in the morning. I shook my head, trying to clear that thought from my mind. It'd never happen. Hanggang pangarap na lang siguro ang ganong buhay para sa amin.

"Bakit?" Her brow arched when she saw me looking at her.

"Nothing." I shook my head. "Anais, what would it take for you to believe me?"

"Ilang beses kitang tinanong tungkol kay Saskia." She eyes went back to the pan in front of her, flipping the steak to the other side.

"I don't remember you asking anything about her." My eyes narrowed into slits.

"Noong nasa arcade tayo at naglalaro kayo ni Cookie, na basa ko ang message niya sa'yo..." She quietly said.

"But you never directly asked about her."

"I asked you who that was and you said you didn't say anything. Kung wala ka talagang ginagawang masama, kung hindi mo babae iyon, bakit tinatago mo siya sa akin?" I could hear the bitterness in her tone. I didn't know why but it somehow made me smile.

"Because she has nothing to do with us. Yung message na iyon para kay Kuya Miggy. He texted her with my phone when I went to pick him up from Saskia's. Nanakawan kasi siya ng phone." I explained.

"Wow. How convenient was that." She sarcastically said, rolling her eyes. "Saka isa pa, ikakasal na si Kuya Miggy kay Hazel. She and Kuya Miggy are in love with each other."

"Aksidente niyang na buntis ang babae. He met her at his bachelor party. Na lasing siya at aksidenteng may nangyari sa kanila. Kung may signal lang dito, I would've called him for you." I sighed. "Wala ka ba talagang tiwala sa akin?"

Hindi na siya nagsalita pa. She tried to busy herself and went back to ignoring me. Inilipat niya ang steak sa dalawang plato nang maluto iyon at dinala iyon sa island table. We quietly ate together and after we finished our food, I did the dishes.

Umakyat na kami pagkatapos namin malinis ang kusina. There were six rooms upstairs. One master bedroom, yung apat para sa amin magkakapatid, at yung isa ay ang painting room ni Dad. Every summer, since I could remember, pumupunta kami dito para mabakasyon. Dad had bought this whole island so we could have a private space we could spend our vacation. Maliit lang ang isla pero maganda ang beach nito. I headed straight to the master's bedroom and Anais followed me in.

"Dito din ako matutulog." She awkwardly said, rubbing her arms. "Tayo lang dalawa dito, I'm scared someone might break in."

"Sino naman ang manloloob dito? Yung mga isda? We're in a secluded island." I let out an amused smile.

"Paano kung... kung may multo dito?" She looked away from me, embarrased. Anais, a full grown woman, editor in chief, and a mother to Cookie was still afraid of ghosts. She was still the scaredy cat she'd always been when we were little. Her eyes snapped at me and they narrowed into a glare. "Ano'ng ngini-ngiti ngiti mo dyan?"

"Nothing." I shook my head and loosened my tie. "I'm going to take a shower."

"I'm gonna go to sleep." She looked away from me.