[ one ] body hunting

c h a p t e r o n e body hunting

c h a p t e r o n e
body hunting

Harper Verum's room was tidier than it had been all summer due to her intense procrastination skills. Candles were lit nearby as the teenage girl sat hunched over her desk, scribbling answers to the homework she had regrettably left to the last minute.

The brunette had her earplugs in, blasting The Neighbourhood at full volume as she hummed quietly along. Less than an hour ago her grandma had gone to sleep, so she had to be quiet. Although, Harper was ninety-nine percent sure her grandma could sleep through a hurricane.

On her list of things to do, homework was her last choice, which was why it had taken her all summer to even pluck the courage of pulling it out of last years school bag. Who even sets homework in the holidays? Mr Harris, that's who.

Harper finally finished, a sigh of relief escaping her lips as she dropped her pencil onto the desk and pulled her earplugs out, just in time to hear a thump come from downstairs. Her heart skipped a beat and she sat up straight, listening intently.

Quietly, she grabbed the strong cardboard packaging from a poster that had been delivered days ago, raising it above her head like a bat. Adrenaline flooded through her as she opened the bedroom door. Harper tip-toed down the stairs, eyes wide as she tried to adjust to the darkness.

A bang and then a groan came from the kitchen. Harper's hands began to get a little sweaty as she clasped the nearly-useless-weapon in her hands tighter, wiggling her fingers. The light in the hallway switched on and the brown-eyed girl yelped, reaching out and smacking whoever was in the doorway around the head.

"Ow! Ow, Harper, stop!" A familiar voice hissed before large hands wrapped around the dented poster packaging, yanking it straight out of her hands, "it's me, it's Stiles."

Harper blinked, a blush coating her cheeks when she realised it was just her two best friends: Stiles Stilinski and Scott McCall. They towered above her 5'1 frame, looking at her with wide eyes. Stiles was still rubbing his head where she had hit it.

"Why'd you hit me?" He whined.

The girl scoffed, "maybe because I thought you were trying to rob me?"

Stiles stared at her, squinting his eyes. "Touché."

"Why are you here anyway?" She folded her arms across her chest, raising a dark eyebrow at the two of them, "it's, like, eleven at night and my grandma is asleep."

Scott rolled his eyes, "Stiles wants us to go to the woods with him to find a dead body," he muttered.

The oldest of them all hadn't wanted to go out body-hunting, but when Stiles had turned up at his house and insisted, Scott couldn't say no. He'd thrown on a maroon coloured jumper and jumped in the Stilinski boy's blue jeep so they could meet their other best friend.