2 ━ JEALOUSY

EVA LEANED TOWARD DEBBIE ON
the bed, latching onto every word, lips curled into a permanent smile.

 "When he dropped me off, before I got out of the car, he leaned toward me like he was going to kiss me...but after a while, I opened my eyes, and he just smiled at me. He said he hoped to see me again, and his breath smelled so good. I wanted to tell you so badly, but you were asleep when I got back, so."

 Eva grinned brightly. "You should've woken me up! I wouldn't have had a problem."

 All of a sudden, Debbie's bedroom door swung open, revealing—what do you know?—Carl. "Really?" His facial expression held mock betrayal. "I wake you up, and I'm the spawn of Satan. Oh, but Debbie is invited to wake you up."

 He stood tall, in jeans and a white T-shirt; his short, light curls fell over his forehead. His lips...Well, aside from her annoyance with Carl, she would admit that he had the most perfectly shaped lips of anyone she had ever met. And those lips, plump and pink, were set into a firm line.

 "That's because I'd actually enjoy seeing her face upon waking up to it," Eva explained, in a matter-of-fact tone. "Yours...not so much."

 "Please. You love my face. It's beautiful—you said so yourself."

 Eva rolled her eyes. "I was talking about Carl Grimes, but nice try."

 Carl ignored the response, a smile forming on his face. "I'm going to that party with you guys tonight. Make sure you don't get into any trouble."

 "Get out of my room, Carl," Debbie groaned. "And stop eavesdropping on our conversations!"

 Surprisingly, Carl obeyed—but before he shut the door completely, he cried out in an obnoxious, overly-high voice, "Oh, he almost kissed me! Oh, his breath smelled so good!"

 Carl barely dodged the pillow that was flung at him. He chose the perfect moment to close the door.

"HOW do I look?" Debbie stepped into the bathroom, where Eva hastily brushed her teeth, and twirled in her tight, burgundy dress.

 Eva flashed her teeth—covered in foamy toothpaste—and nodded. "Like a runway model."

 Debbie grinned, twirling her red, curly locks around her index finger. She waited for Eva to rinse her mouth, only to quickly apply a layer of lip gloss, and the two hurried toward the staircase leading into the living room.