12 ━ MINDLESS

"I'M SO SORRY, ANGEL."

 "It's okay." Eva heard the disappointment in her own voice and internally cursed herself for it. "Truly. You can come see me some other time. It'll mean just as much."

 "I know, but it's your birthday." Matty's voice was rough with sorrow. "I haven't gotten to be there for your birthday in years. How bullshit is it that we're in contact now and I still can't be there."

 The growing anger in his voice was vivid, and Eva knew, without a doubt, how much he really did want to be here to celebrate her seventeenth birthday. But, as he had already explained to her, his boss would not permit him the day off work. He'd made it very clear that if Matty did not show up to work, he would no longer have a job. And considering Caroline's schooling was not cheap and she only worked a part-time job, Matty was the one keeping the bills paid. His factory job paid him decently, but if he lost it now, he had no idea how much it would damage him. He—and Eva—did not want to chance it.

 "Talking to you is enough," Eva said, and although her stomach twisted with dismay, her voice was light and reassuring, with an effort. "I wouldn't want you jeopardizing your life for my birthday, that's just stupid. So don't feel bad about it. I'll be okay."

 Matty sighed on the other end. "Are you absolutely sure Mallory can't come?"

 "Yeah. She said if she could, she'd get on a flight right now, but Izzy is sick and James has to work. It isn't possible. Listen, Matty, it's fine, don't worry about me. All that matters is that you guys are in my life again. I don't need anything else."

 Eva suppressed the urge to release a heavy sigh. She knew it was dumb, but she really, really wanted to cry. She'd been hoping to spend the day with Matty, at least. She never counted on Mallory, who always seemed to have a reason not to travel to Chicago. Eva did not blame either of them, but that meant nothing to her sadness, her pain.

 "Listen, I'd better go," Eva said. "I'm starving and I smell food. And I have to get ready for school. But I'll call you later, okay?"

 "All right." Eva didn't have to see Matty to know that he was running his fingers through his hair. The image sent a shot of affection through her. "Happy birthday, Eva. I love you."

 Despite the cold displeasure in her stomach, Eva smiled. Hearing the words directed at her after not hearing them for so long was warming. "I love you, too," she returned; hearing the words from her own mouth, and meaning them, was also fulfilling.

 When Eva ended the call, however, that warmth wasted no time in ebbing away. The full weight of her disappointment hit her, and her body ran cold. She remained seated on the porch steps, slumping against the wooden banister. She felt too drained to move right now.

 Around a minute passed before the door opened behind Eva. She looked back, expecting one of the Gallaghers. When she saw that it was Bonnie stepping out, she sagged against the banister again, rolling her eyes as she turned away. Eva was so sick of seeing her. Bonnie hardly ever left the Gallaghers' house. She hardly left Carl's side, for that matter.