Chapter 13

Laura

"I want you."

I spent the next few days thinking about what Kai had said. He really knew how to make a girl feel disposable. I couldn't stop the hurt feeling building up inside of me. I kept telling myself I didn't want him and that nothing he said affected me, but that wasn't true. When I had smelled his arousal for Donatella, I had the burning desire that made me wish it was me he wanted like that.

And he did want me like that, but that's all he wanted. His bold statement made that very clear. He would use me as a quick fuck and then discard me yet again. And the sad thing was, I was almost willing to let him do just that if it meant I could be close to him, even only if for a night.

I raised my head to look up at the sky, which was now a pale grey. Winter was coming fast and soon the whole forest would be covered in snow. I sighed and looked at the clearing around me. I was a little way from the nursery where Mira was, collecting the few remaining herbs that hadn't been frozen yet. The Elders said they needed a lot of elderberry to fight off the coming colds this winter. I knew there would be few since I was here, but I decided against telling them.

I inhaled deeply, catching faint traces of the sweet smelling plant. I followed the scent until I found the small remains of the bush. I collected the few berries in my basket and slowly made my way back to the pack area.

The Elder's house was across the clearing from the nursery. I knocked on the door and waited until Grandpa Igor opened it. I handed him the basket and he thanked me warmly, asking me if I would like some tea.

I politely declined, saying I had to get back to Mira. He nodded understandingly and let me go. I was crossing the clearing when someone grabbed my arm, pulling me to face them.

I whirled around, ready to fight the person when I saw it was Roland. I lowered my clenched fist and took in his surprised face. I decided against apologising, since he should have known better than to just grab someone. "Want to tell me why you just grabbed me?"

He let go and scratched the back of his head, blushing slightly. "Sorry, not the best approach, I know. I just wanted to know how you are."

I raised a questioning eyebrow. "How I am? Why?"

He gave me a "really" look. "I heard my cousin wasn't so careful picking his words a few days ago. I just wanted to know how you're holding up."

I snorted. "Picking his words? He basically wanted me to spread my legs for him like it were nothing. I get that he doesn't want me like a Mate, but then he might as well not want me at all."

Roland grunted in agreement. "Yes, he told me he said something along those lines. As big of an asshole as he may seem, he didn't mean them like that. He really does want you, not just a one time thing."

I felt the anger rise in me again. "Oh, so now he's upgraded me from being a wanted quick fuck to a desired mistress? How honouring," I spat.

He flinched at my harsh voice. "I realise I am just as bad at using my words as he is. What I mean is, he never meant to reject you. He's always wanted you as his Mate."

Snorting, I shook my head and ripped my arm from his grip. "Oh, yeah? When I was wearing my vervain bracelet, I asked him if he would reject me if I were his Mate and he said yes. He rejected me before he even knew I was his Mate, Roland. Don't try to feed me some bullshit about him harbouring any deep feelings for me."

I marched away towards the nursery to check on Mira. Of course, my mission was yet again postponed by Donatella, who placed herself purposefully in my path. Before I could even get a word out she began snarling, "You just can't stay away, can you? I've told you before and I will tell you know again, he is mine and I am going to be Luna. I will challenge you for it."