Chapter 20

Laura

Being cowardly seemed to have become a new trait of mine. I spent the next few days completely avoiding Kai, fearful that speaking to him or even looking at him would make me fall to my knees and beg for him to take me like a bitch in heat. This new vulnerability I felt made me restless.

It was late at night now, and I couldn't sleep, fantasies of Kai causing my heart to race. It was slowly driving me mad, to the point where I was almost convinced someone slipped hallucinogens every evening in my supper.

Throwing my bed sheets off, I stalked to my closet and pulled out gym clothes. I figured if I had the energy to imagine fifty different positions in which Kai could take me, I could box a little.

The training centre was always open so anyone could use it at any time. I swung the glass door open and inhaled deeply, the smell of body odour causing my nose to wrinkle a little. All the lights were off and I tested around the wall until I found the light switch. It took a minute before the back half of the gym lit up.

Dropping my water bottle and towel by the edge of the mat, I stepped towards a punching bag. The leather was worn and several patches had been sewn on where fists had managed to rip the fabric. I positioned myself a step away from the bag and spread my legs slightly, shifting around so I distributed my weight equally.

I decided against wrapping my hands. They would heal quickly anyway and I figured a little pain would distract me from a very desirable Alpha. I began with some light punches and jabs, before including a few leg kicks. The only sounds to be heard were the groans from the bag when my fist collided with its leather surface.

I was coated in a layer of sweat when I finally came to a finish. I hugged the bag, stilling it while catching my breath. Looking down at my knuckles, I saw they were bruised and a few were bleeding slightly.

"With skills like that, you'd be fit to be an Alpha," a voice chuckled behind me.

I gasped and whirled around. How did he get in here without me hearing him? There was no way he could be so quiet.

Kai smirked, as if he knew what I was thinking. "You're not the only one light on your feet, sugar."

He sauntered across the mat towards me and I suddenly felt like prey. His eyes were hooded and he seemed to be bulkier than before. When he came to a halt in front of me, I had to crane my neck to look up at him, his head looking over mine. We were so close our chests were softly skimming each other, teasingly.

"You've been avoiding me." It wasn't a question, more of a statement.

I wanted to cower under his burning eyes, feeling like I was being scolded like a parent would a child. "I've been busy," I breathed.

"Bullshit." His hand snaked its way up my arm to settle on my cheek. The warmth of his palm made me lean into his touch and I inhaled his scent, pine and nutmeg filling my nose. "Why have you been avoiding me?"

I looked up at him when I heard the hurt in his voice. My chest stung from a dull pain, hurting because of how I was dismissing my Mate. My eyes dropped to look at how our chests were touching. "I'm sorry," I breathed, shocking myself. I didn't know why I was apologising, since it wasn't my job to hover around Kai, but I felt bad. My cowardliness was hurting him and for some reason, I didn't want that.

He tilted my head upwards again, forcing me to look at him. His eyes held a softness that made me want to melt. "Laura, you don't have to apologise, I just want to know why you're avoiding me."