Chapter 15

Laura

I forced myself to get out of bed to get Mira ready for school. It's been two days since I rejected Kai and the pain was showing no sign of fading away any time quick. I sat on the edge of the bed and massaged my temples, hoping to relieve the pressure in my head.

Living in the same house as him just made matters even worse. I could feel him everywhere and his scent coated every surface, even the furniture in my own room. It made Amaranth and I whimper in agony, knowing our Mate was so close and always around, but out of reach.

We couldn't have him because if we did, it would be the end of us. We would become a hollow shape, drained of energy. Kai would use us and I knew I couldn't let him, no matter how much I wanted my Mate.

Amaranth was restless and tense, especially after barely sleeping the last few nights. "Laura, are we sure he wants to use us? Maybe he really does want us. Can't we give him a chance?"

I sighed and rose to my feet, getting dressed for the day. "He revoked his rejection right after we shifted, Ama. He doesn't want us, he wants you. If he hadn't seen you were a white wolf, he probably would have continued to ignore us. Besides, I will not seal the Mating Bond with him just to give him a chance. Once we're Mated, we are bound for life."

"We don't have to Mate him, not yet. But please, can we be close to him? Maybe he will warm up to us and he will want us for us. Please, Laura, please, just a chance."

I knew it was wrong, but I wanted what she wanted. I wanted to feel Kai close to me, even though it hurt like seven shades of hell. It was like sitting a drug addict in front of a syringe of heroin, bound to a chair. They were so close to what they desperately wanted, but unable to reach it. Kai was my heroin, a damaging substance that I still couldn't let go.

I closed my bedroom door behind me and went a few doors down until I reached Mira's room. Easing the door open, I saw she was already awake, sitting under her covers with Connor lying next to her. She looked as though she had been crying. I was ready to sprint over to her, but her next words stopped me.

"I never wanted to hurt Laura," she sniffled to her Mate. "It's my fault everyone hated her."

Connor wrapped an arm around her shoulder and let her rest her head on his shoulder. "It's not your fault, Mira. You didn't know our pack was going to be so mean to her here."

"But I should have told them to shut up when they said mean things to her! I should have told them she could shift and kick their butts," she sobbed. A small smile broke out on my lips, her little outcry warming my heart. She wanted to protect me like I protected her.

My smile quickly vanished when she spoke again. "Maybe I should break the Guardian Bond."

My heart sank to the floor, hurting as much as when Kai first rejected me. My throat tightened and tears welled in my eyes, threatening to fall. Did she no longer want us?

Connor also seemed shocked by her outburst. "Why would you want that? Do you no longer want Laura as your Guardian?"

"I do," she wailed, "but she is so sad here. Everyone's been so mean and I don't want them to keep hurting her. I want her to be happy like she makes me happy."

"But won't releasing her make you sad? You said she was like your mum," Connor pointed out.

"It will, but it would make me more sad if she had to stay here and be miserable."

I couldn't take it anymore. I pushed the door fully open and strode across the room. The two children jerked their heads to look at me with wide eyes. I sat myself on the bed and pulled Mira to me, enveloping her in a tight hug.