Chapter 4 - Spider-Man

Two weeks later...

(Annabelle's POV)

Almost a week ago Ben, Peter's Uncle, died, he was murdered. Peter took it very hard and keeps blaming himself for it. I've tried to be by his side whenever he's around but he's been disappearing a lot lately. So when Peter is not home, I end up hanging out with May, Peter's Aunt. She needs all the company she can get right now, and I'll happily be there for her. In fact I was going over there later tonight after school, which was almost over actually, its lunch block right now. So I spent the lunch period wandering around looking for Peter. As I was doing that I passed Gwen in the hall.

"Gwen!" I greeted as she walked by me.

"Yeah?"

"Have you seen Peter?" I asked. Someone must have seen him, I've asked so many people now, but no one has. I guess I'm just going through all the people who haven't seen him first and then I'll get to the ones who actually did. Just my luck.

"Yeah I just saw him, I think he was heading to the cafeteria." She answered and I perked up at this. Just my luck!

"Thank you!" I cheered and ran back towards the cafeteria. I was going to corner him if have I have to because we really need to talk.

"Oh Anna, don't forget you have to come talk to Dr. Connors after school today." Gwen called after me.

"Alright, I won't." I said. I ran into the cafeteria and scanned it for Peter. I spotted him at a table by himself. I walked over and sat down in front of him. "Hey." He didn't look up from his food, but responded.

"Hey Belle." His voice was sad. I wish I could just do something to cheer him up again. I know his Uncle just died and he deserves time to mourn but his Aunt needs someone to cheer her up and I can't be there everyday for her.

"How have you been? We haven't talked in a while." I asked trying to get him to speak more than a few words. He still didn't look up. I sighed.

"Ok I guess. How about you?" He returned the question. Well it's a start, he spoke more than three words.

"Great actually, I work at Oscorp now." I tried not to rub it in that things in my life were looking up. Peter had to know I'm here for him even if he thinks he doesn't need anyone. Eventually, he will.

"Thats good. I've actually been working with Dr. Connors a little bit, maybe I'll see you there some time." Peter stated. I was taken back, that was not the response I was anticipating. If I'm working at Oscorp and Peter will also frequently be there...what about May?

"Yeah maybe." Peter still hadn't looked up from his food, which made me feel like he was hiding something. "Peter what's wrong?" He tensed up but didn't respond. "Peter look at me." I tried to sound a little firm but not demanding. He still refused to acknowledge me. "God damn it, Peter! What has happened to you that you can't even look at me?" I asked exasperated. Finally with reluctance Peter looked up this time and I gasped. He had a cut on his lip, a black eye and a cut on his eyebrow. "What happened?"

"I fell." Peter whispered and looked back down.

"Bullshit." I said as I carefully grabbed his face and examined the cuts and bruises. "No one gets hurt like this from falling."

"It was a bad fall." He continued the lie, stood up from the table and left. Peter left me sitting there. My best friend is hurting and hiding and I can't seem to do anything about it.

What has happened to you Peter Parker? And why are you hiding it?

---------------

I knocked on the door in front of me.