THREE

learning to breathe

three

Just as a precaution,Marie didn't go to school the next day. Danny tried to skip school to stay with her,but Carlisle wouldn't let the boy. Instead,Marie got a visit from her sisters fiancee,and his two friends from the other day. Jacob plopped down on the couch next to Marie,grinning at her. She groaned and pushed his hands away from his lap and crawled into it. What could she say? He was warm. Leah sat in an armchair,and the other boy,Leah's brother Seth,sat on the couch with them. Marie thought she heard a soft growl emitting from around Leah,but she didn't say anything. Leah was probably just hungry. Her father had been standing at the doorway,smiling at them and laughed.

"Is something about my thoughts funny,Dad?"Marie asked,looking up to her father with a hard glare. He laughed harder. Marie huffed,burying her face in her soon to be brother-in-law's chest. Jacob laughed,wrapping an arm around her. The two acted so very much like brother and sister,that if someone saw them on the street and didn't notice their intense difference in skin color,they would assume the two were siblings. Marie didn't notice the look of extreme jealousy on Leah's face,though soon the girl who was too old for her teenage body would understand their relationship,and would one day find it sweet. Until then,Jacob could kiss Leah's ass.

"So when's the wedding?"Asked Marie after a bout of comfortable silence. Jacob grinned down at her,"Really soon. Renesmee wants to finish her last year in college first. That girl has grown up much to fast."He sighs,and he hides a small smile. He secretly loves how smart she is and how well she adapted to her growth rate. Marie and Renesmee were the same age at 17,but Renesmee looked like a college student when Marie looked like a seven year old. Marie had the capacity of any normal human at that age,she was so very not vampire. The only thing she seemed to inherited from her family of vampires was the intelligence. She learned things fast and she had a growing knowledge to know everything. That was one of the things the family loved about Marie. She had incredible intelligence for a human,she was like a little Einstein.

Marie suddenly wondered what Renesmee was up to as she reached up to her chest and pulled her little locket out. The one that matched May's. "When's she coming home?"She asked,her high spirits dampened by the crushing need to have her sister with her. Renesmee and Marie were closer than anything,and Renesmee was even going to wait for Marie to go to college together,but Marie had declined. Renesmee wanted to finish college before she got married,and she so badly wanted to marry Jacob. How could Marie keep her from that?

Esme came into the living room then,bright smile on her face."Would you guys like some lunch?"She asked her granddaughter and the others. Marie's spirits rised at the mention of food."Yes please! Do you need some help?"She asked,a light smile spreading her pink lips. "No love,don't want to risk you getting worse."Hummed Esme,kissing Marie's forehead and flitting into the kitchen to make lunch. "About that,how are you doing,Marie?"Asked Leah behind her,and Marie turned with a soft blush adorning her features. "I'm fine. I really don't see why they're making me stay home today. I'd much rather be doing something."She told the girl,and Leah smiled softly at Marie.

The blush darkened and Edward,standing at the doorway still,shook his head and thought about how similar she was to her mother,and yet how much she wasn't at the same time. Leah thought something,looking up at Edward and he nodded in approval. Leah turned back to the tiny Cullen girl,a small smile on her lips."Would you like to do something with me and Jacob tomorrow? Daniel will be there. As well as the other pack members,it's a bonfire sort of thing."Leah spoke,an almost tentative smile on her face."That'd be cool! Sam has never let me go before though."She says,and her big,bright smile fades as she stares at the ground.

"It's different now."Leah spoke,and Marie looked up in confusion."How is it different?" She asked,tilting her head so innocently to the right. Leah looked confused for a moment and looking up at Edward proved her point. Marie didn't remember."Marshmallow,Leah imprinted on you."Jacob spoke up,rapping a brotherly arm around Marie."Oh."Marie spoke softly,a flaming blush spreading across her cheeks like wild fire."I f-forgot." Stuttered Marie,not really knowing how to react to her idiocy. She was embarrassed but she was also extremely flattered that Leah had imprinted on her.

Leah chuckles,and Marie's heart starts to flutter,and no one notices Edward smiling so very lovingly at the two. The three left after lunch and Marie went to bed,feeling exhausted. She slept until supper and Edward woke her up to eat. Bella had invited Daniel over for dinner,but his mother was making his favorite meal,so he declined. Marie ate and then watched TV,cuddling up to her father and falling asleep there. Edward took her up to her room and sat in her bed,caressing her soft,fluffy hair until she settled down and fell back asleep. Edward,having nothing to do for the day,watched Marie dream,lightly caressing her hair as he did so. After a while he left to join Bella in the small cottage.