FOUR

learning to breathe

four

"I'm not so sure about this. I mean,Sam has never really liked me and May." Marie tells Jacob as she gets out of his Rabbit, her oxygen tank clanking out behind her. "It'll be fine, Marshmallow. You're Leah's imprint, he'll probably be grateful to you. Plus,he never minded you. You're basically a human."Jacob sighed,rapping an arm around her shoulders and walking along with her towards the bonfire. "Are you sure?"Questioned Marie and Jacob laughed."Yes, of course, Marie. Don't worry about it. You get all splotchy when you're worried."He tells with a big grin on his face,and she immediately touches her hand to her splotchy red face.

Jacob nudges her forward, and she walks ahead of him with a small,forced smile on her face. That is,of course,until she sees Leah sitting on a log speaking to her brother with a soft smile on her face. Leah turns and sees Marie,and her smile brightens and she waves for the girl to come sit with her. Marie maneuvers through the logs and people and sits with Leah,Jacob sitting right next to her. The group quiets as they stare at her. Most of them don't know who she is,yet. Jacob introduces her to everyone in the group,joking around and playing with everyone.

Marie finds that these people are easy to be around. Any time she had met a wolf before, they would scowl and growl at her. Now they were all smiling and laughing. That didn't seem right to Marie. She stares at her feet,the sickly girl easily upset. Jacob nudges her,a worried smile on his face."You okay, Marshmallow?"He asks,and Marie looks up at him."I just don't get why people suddenly like me. Before I was such a disgrace. No one liked me. But suddenly Leah imprints on me,and I'm just fine..."She whispers,knowing Jacob can here her. Jacob sighs,wrapping his arms around her and lightly rubbing her back with his warm hands."That is unfair. No one should judge someone because of their parents."He says, kissing her forehead.

Leah reaches out to comfort Marie,but Jacob shakes his head. The conversation has died down,and everyone is staring at her. Marie looks up and sees everyone looking and her heart pounds against her chest."I told you this was a bad idea."She muttered,pushing up from her seat on a log in between Leah and Jacob and walking off. Marie was a sensitive child,their was no doubt about that. Some would even call her a crybaby. Leah watched her leave,and she thought that Marie was just lonely.

Leah jumped up from her seat and followed after her so she wouldn't get lost."Marie!"She calls,jogging to her. Marie stops and Leah catches up."I'm sorry."Leah states,placing a consoling hand on her shoulder. Marie smiles sadly."It's fine. I can be too dramatic sometimes."She says,looking down at her feet. Leah shook her head."No. You're misunderstood. They all think you're so bad because you have vampires for parents. But they don't define you,Marie. You define you."Leah spoke comforting words,and suddenly Marie was sobbing into her chest."Thank you."She choked out. She really was a mess tonight.

"I'll take you home,Marie. Come on."Leah said after awhile,smiling sadly down at the little Cullen girl. Marie nods,following after Leah and getting into her old truck. Leah turns the radio on and drives Marie home. After she's cooled down,Marie starts softly singing along to the music. Her voice isn't great,but Leah thinks it's pretty beautiful. Leah parks her truck out front of the Cullen household,a kind smile on her russet face. Marie smiled over at Leah,still a little sadness in her eyes,but she was overall happy now. "Thank you."She spoke,and Leah nodded in response."Of course. Have a good night, Marie." Leah said,and she reached forward with her hand and bushed a lock of hair out of Marie's face.

A blush arose on her pale skin, and Leah thought it was offly pretty, how the splotches spread across her face and down her neck. "You too."Marie spoke quietly,opening the passenger side door and getting out,dragging her tank along with her. Marie turns around halfway to the house,and a light smile spreads across her face to see Leah still there. Marie gives a small wave and walks into the house. She goes lays down on the couch. Leah is so fantastic,and Marie can't help but smile goofily as she lays there. In the back of her mind,she's pushed away the crappy night,and right now all she can think about is this tall,dark girl.