Chapter 9

A/N: Don't worry. The reason Zayn is so detached from life is more than just because "his girlfriend left him". There is more to the story and more to be revealed(;

Now, enjoy and please comment after (and vote, of course) to let me know what you thought!

Thank you!

~:Paige:~

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I waited nervously in the living room, not paying attention to whatever TV show was on. I looked at my watch. She should be here anytime now.

Ding, dong.

The doorbell made me jump, and I grabbed the remote and turned off the TV. I sped to the door and swung it open.

We both started talking at the same time.

“I have to—“

“We need to—“

She chuckled nervously. “You go first.”

I swallowed my nerves and said, “I was wrong to get so defensive. But you were right about everything. I’m sorry for saying I understood what you were going through when I obviously don’t.”

She shook her head quickly and said, “No, I should be the one that’s sorry. I really do need you in my life, Paige, and not just to give me a safe house from my mom.”

“Darcy, it’s—“

“No, I’m not finished yet. I was wrong to be so harsh and judgmental about Zayn, and I was wrong to rub me and Niall in your face.” She paused to breathe. “Okay, now I’m done.”

A smile grew on my face. “So do you forgive me?” I asked.

She nodded. “Do you forgive me?”

I nodded my head ‘yes’.

We held out our arms and gave each other a hug.

“Wait… isn’t today Sunday?” she asked.

“Um, yeah,” I answered, wondering why it mattered.

“So didn’t you have to walk the dogs this morning?”

I gasped. “I totally forgot!”

“You’re going to have to call everyone and explain everything,” Darcy said.

I groaned. “You’re right.” I smiled. “What would I do without you, Darcy?”

She shrugged. “You’d be screwed.”

I rolled my eyes and got my phone out of my shorts’ pocket.  I went to my contacts group labeled ‘customers’ and called each person, explaining why I hadn’t come to walk their dog. The rich single lady that owned the female Chihuahua said she wouldn’t pay me next week, but I didn’t mind. I got enough pay from the other customers.

All I had left to call was Mrs. Muck.

“Hello, Paige!” she said cheerfully.

“Hey, Mrs. Muck!” I greeted. “I was just calling to apologize for not picking up Lil’ Bit for a walk. I was busy dropping off people at the airport and totally forgot that today was Sunday.”

“Would those ‘people’ happen to be the boys?” she asked.

I sighed. “Yes.”

“Did you make any progress with that young man?” she asked.