Chapter 10

I piled the last bag in Darcy’s minivan.

“Are you ready?” Darcy asked, opening the side door and hopping in.

“Almost,” I replied. “I’ll be right back.” I went back inside my house and got a piece of paper. I grabbed a pencil and wrote:

“Mom and Dad—

Thank you for letting me go to the Caribbean. I will call as soon as I know when I am coming back. Mom, I hope you don’t mind that I took your VISA credit card. But I brought an empty bag along just for souvenirs for you both!

                                                Love you! Xx

                                                          ~Paige”

I quickly taped it on the front door and went outside. After making sure the door was locked, I skipped down the driveway to Darcy’s can by the curb.

“Yoo-hoo!” I heard someone holler.

I searched around for the source of the noise. My eyes stopped on Mrs. Muck waving her arm at me from her porch. I ran across the lawn and up her porch stairs.

“What are you doing up?” I asked her. “It’s four in the morning!”

“I wanted to say goodbye,” she said, smiling sweetly.

Tears filled my eyes, and I pulled her in for a long hug.

“I’ll miss you,” I said sincerely.

“I’ll miss you too, hon,” she said. “Tell Darcy that too.”

I chuckled. “I will.” I hugged her even harder. Darcy’s parents honked the horn.

She pulled away and scolded, “You don’t want to miss your flight, young lady. Go on now.” I could see her eyes getting teary.

I smiled and started walking back across the grass to the van. I hopped inside and waved to Mrs. Muck before sliding the door shut.

“You ready?” Darcy asked. Her breathing was quick with excitement.

My heartbeat increased. “Yes. Now I’m ready.”

:~:~:~:~:~:~:

We arrived at the same airport I’d been at only days before on a much less happier note. Darcy and I got our luggage weighed and put through security. They took everything but our carry-ons. I had a book bag slung over my shoulder, and Darcy had a shoulder bag on hers. We waited for the flight to be announced.

“Now boarding flight number 317.”

A smile crept to my face. Mrs. Pine had tears in her eyes, and she gave us both hugs. Darcy’s dad also gave her a hug. Her parents were sad, but I could tell Darcy had to pretend to feel mutual. I knew her well enough to know that she couldn’t wait to get away from them.