Epilogue

*Zayn’s POV*

I anxiously bounced my knee, counting the seconds as they passed. The taxi wasn’t going fast enough for my taste. I couldn’t wait to get home.

The driver stopped on the end of the road. He let me out, and I walked the rest of the way, rolling my suit case behind me. I had my jacket slung over my shoulder. I may have needed it in New Zealand, but now that I was home, it was too hot for a jacket.

I looked down at the ring finger on my left hand at my wedding band. My wife slid it on my finger three years ago, June 7th. I’d never forget that day, the only day I’d see my bride walking down the aisle, her veil shadowing her smile.

The memories made me smile as I continued to walk down the street, straining from exhaustion. This was the third tour I’d been on and had to leave for months at a time. But thinking of what would await for me at home quickened my pace.

I was still one house away when Paige ran out the front door of our house. Her face lit up when her eyes met mine, and she ran across the yard with joyous laughter. I dropped everything, and she threw her arms around me. I picked her up and swung her around once, making the golden hair flow around her face.

“Well, hello, Mrs. Malik,” I said as I set her down.

“Hello, Zayn,” she returned. “I missed you.”

“I missed you too.” I pressed my lips against hers, and she responded hungrily.

“Now now, you two,” I heard a voice say.

We broke away and turned to look at the door. My mum was standing in the doorway, an amused smile on her face. “Someone else has missed you too.”

Just then, my two-year-old son scurried out from behind her. He pumped his small arms and short legs as hard as he could to run up to me, breathing hard. I squatted down and squeezed as tightly as I could without crushing him.

“I missed you, Trevor,” I said. I tussled his blonde, wavy hair he inherited from his mother and looked into his brown eyes that matched mine.

“Missed Daddy,” he said. He hugged me again, unable to wrap his short arms all the way around me. He only knew a few words still, but he had to learn those two early. The thought broke my heart, but I knew I would be staying for a while before the next tour would begin. At least five months, with a recording here and there.

“Hurry! Everyone inside!” my mum called. “They’ll be here any minute!”

Paige picked up little Trey and went back inside the house. I gathered all my stuff and followed them inside.

I smelled a delicious aura, and I knew my mother was cooking for the dinner party tonight. Everyone was going to be here—Darcy and Niall, Danielle and Liam (who were engaged), Harry and his new girlfriend Olivia, and Louis and his wife Eleanor—as celebration for the tour being over.

Paige handed Trevor over to my mum. She grabbed my arm and pulled me into the greenhouse. All the plants were blooming; Paige has taken good care of them ever since Mrs. Muck died.

“Finally, we have some time to ourselves,” she huffed. “I love your mom, Zayn, but when she gets busy, she’s determined.”

I chuckled. “Then let’s make the most of this.” I pulled her in for a long kiss.

After a while, she pulled away. “Zayn, I actually brought you here to tell you something.”

I worriedly searched her eyes. “What is it?”

“I think we’re going to need to move into a bigger house.” She bit her lip.

“What? Why?” I coaxed.