01. last night of freedom

CHAPTER ONE

CHAPTER ONE

last night of freedom.

Bonnie had never thought she would miss her busy school nights, but now as she remembered the promise she made her mother, they didn't seem so bad after all. One way or another, she was stuck babysitting her sister for the entire summer.

"He's scaring away our customers, Bonnie," Robin says as she slouches in her chair. She tosses her sailor hat on the table before running her hands through her hair in annoyance.

"All of them?" Bonnie questions with a slight disbelieving smile as she takes the sailor hat and puts it on. The way Robin tilts her head and frowns makes it crystal clear that it might just as well have been every customer that came through those doors.

"It's honestly horrifying," Robin adds with a grimace. She glances at the register through the backroom window. It gives both girls a clear view of Steve Harrington chasing away another group of girls for what must have been the fourth time that day.

Robin sighs dramatically as she stands up. She stretches her hand out towards Bonnie, who scoffs slightly in amusement before handing her the marker that had somehow rolled underneath the table. She watches as Robin slowly makes her way over to the whiteboard and draws another tally under the bold lettered you suck.

The door suddenly swings open, only nearly missing Robin. In the doorway is none other than Steve Harrington, hands still on the door and looking absolutely and utterly defeated. That is until his eyes fall on Bonnie and his posture suddenly straightens as he leans against the opened door. 

"Bonnie, hey." He greets his tone slightly surprised and with a small smile forming on his lips before he turns his head towards Robin, his smile fading away as she shakes her head in what seems to be disapproval.

"What brings you here tonight?" Steve asks as he ignores the way Robin snorts at his sudden actions as he slides into the chair opposite of Bonnie and leans his elbow on the table, chin resting on his palm as he stares at her.

"Nothing really," Bonnie states with a slight frown as she tries not to laugh at the way Robin pretends to gag behind Steve's back.

"Bonnie's stuck babysitting her devil of a little sister." Robin chimes in with a satisfied grin as Steve lowers his head in defeat. He might not have had any luck on his own, but surely Robin's consistent commentary wasn't bettering anything. 

"Tonight's my last night of freedom," Bonnie adds, leaning back slightly in her chair. She dreaded what was to come tomorrow, she could almost feel Claire's judgmental eyes watching her every move and her shrill voice having outstanding commentary to match.

"If she's my problem, she's your problem too," Bonnie stated with a slight grin playing on her lips as Robin groaned in frustration. Before Robin made her way over to the window sill and sat down on it, her arms folded over one another as she peered down at Bonnie and Steve.

"What eleven-year-old is that bad?" Steve immediately regrets even asking as Bonnie tilts her head, eyes narrowing as a frown creases between her eyebrows. Robin glares at him while shaking her head once again. It had become a habit of hers.

"Steve, You have not met Claire." Robin states as her eyes widen at the mere memory. The youngest Petrova had left quite an impression on her and far from the good kind.

"No offence, Bon, but that child is the devil," Robin admits.

"I know, right! You know that one time when she." Bonnie and Robin began laughing even before she could finish her sentence.

"She's the reason I'm afraid of falling asleep at your house," Robin states with a smile as Bonnie laughs along with her.

"I'm sorry, what?" Steve was just as confused as to when the pair had first attempted to explain between fits of laughter and the occasional snort from either one of them. He couldn't help himself but be mesmerised by the way Bonnie's nose would scrunch as she laughed.

"Claire, my darling sister, gave Robin a haircut while she was asleep." Bonnie tried to explain and just as Robin was about to frantically chime in they were interrupted by the bell at the register being rung rather harshly.

"A haircut?! She nearly shaved my fucking head, Bonnie!" Robin shouted on her way out the door, as Bonnie threw the Scoops Ahoy hat at her and she caught it. All be it a bit clumsily.

There was a little moment of silence where it was just them, grinning like idiots. Steve suddenly reached over the table and took a hold of Bonnie's hand, causing her to stiffen slightly at the way his fingers skim across her skin.

"I'm somewhat of an expert at the babysitting thing," Steve says with a slight shrug as he scribbles his number on the back of her hand.

"Just, you know, give me a call or something." He adds nonchalantly before he can say anything else the door flies open once again, hitting the wall behind it loudly.

Bonnie watched as a group of kids walked straight through the Scoops Ahoy backroom, most of them didn't pay her any mind, but Lucas Sinclair went out of his way to turn around and greet her with a wave. She could hear a soft laugh before he was pulled away by Max as they followed along with the others.

"I thought you were kidding," Bonnie remarks with a slight expression of disbelief overtaking her features as she walks out of the backroom and turns to Robin.

"Weird, right?!" Robin says. Steve watches them, eyes narrowed and eyebrows furrowed as utter confusion is clearly written all over his face.

"Your only friends are kids, Steve. That's just weird." Robin clarifies as if it is the most obvious thing in the world.

"It's not weird." Steve defends himself before turning back to Bonnie with his best attempt at a charming smile: "I'm not weird."

"I'll take your word for it, Harrington," Bonnie mumbles with a disbelieving smile ghosting over her lips.

"See ya," Bonnie shouts on her way out, Steve knew it was meant for Robin but even so he leans against the counter to catch a glimpse of her walking away. 

Robin can't help but roll her eyes at the way Steve is gawking at Bonnie with a ridiculously pleased grin on his face. One that disappears just as quickly as he notices Robin adding another tally on the whiteboard.