00. bonnie and clyde

PROLOGUE

PROLOGUE

bonnie and clyde.

     The bitterness of the frigid October air nipped at the exposed skin of her arms and thighs, causing goosebumps to decorate her skin. Not even the Nylon stockings, she decided to wear last minute, could keep out the cold. When her date had come up with their costume it had almost sounded too good to be true, and right about now as she was looking for Tommy, Bonnie realized that indeed it was.

She enjoyed herself pretty well that night as she kept on refilling her cup with the weird punch stood in the kitchen and swayed to the tunes blasting throughout the crowded house. She could feel Tommy's hands all over her as he kept on whispering utter inaudible nonsense into her ear.

Bonnie danced around a smile adorning her lips as her hand tightened around Tommy's hand as he twirled her around. His drink spilt on the ground and her shoes, but she didn't seem to care or even notice for that matter.

It was right around half-past three when things really started to become dazed and everything started to merge together. The music downstairs had become too loud and Tommy's grip on her too tight, she needed a moment to breathe.

So, to the best of her abilities, Bonnie walked up the stairs. She held on to the railing for dear life as she stepped over the crumpled-up cups and other garbage scattered across the steps.

Bonnie felt the overwhelming feeling begin to slowly subside as she walked through the hallway and swung open the bathroom door without any caution about who might have been inside of it. She closed the door with as much grace as she had shown when she stumbled up the stairs, slowly sliding down till she was sat down on the tile floor.

Her brows furrowed at the sight of a girl passed out in the bathtub in front of her. Bonnie gently nudged the girl's arm with her foot before she crawled a bit closer and recognized her as Robin Buckley. Someone she'd shared a few classes and conversations with, but had never gotten the chance to get to know her better than that.

"Oh god, please, don't be dead," Bonnie muttered under her breath as she softly shook Robin, waiting for even the slightest of reactions. Robin suddenly jerked upright, only nearly avoiding a headbutt with Bonnie, who stumbled back at the sudden movement.

"I'm not dead, idiot," Robin muttered as she laid back down in the bathtub, her eyes now open and resting on Bonnie who had returned to her spot near the door.

"I can see that," Bonnie stated as she leaned back against the door, crossing her legs as she looked up at Robin.

"Who are you supposed to be?" Robin asked, her words slightly slurred as she slowly turned her head to meet Bonnie's eyes as the latter smiled softly at her question.

"Bonnie." She answered as she gestured to her nylon stockings, short skirt and satin scarf. Robin chuckled at her answer and shook her head. Bonnie could vaguely remember what movie Robin's costume was referencing, she was sure it was something clever.

"No! I know who you are." Robin laughed as she gestured to Bonnie who laughed along with her but had no idea what was so funny about what she'd said.

"I mean the costume." Robin added with a slight snort at the end of her laugh.

"Bonnie! As in Bonnie and Clyde." Bonnie stated as she moved closer to the bathtub, Robin started laughing again.

"Oh, I get it now." She stated with a bright smile as Bonnie laughed along with her. It was only starting to become more and more clear to each of the girls how intoxicated the both of them were.

"Where's Clyde?" Robin's question caused a grimace to spread across Bonnie's features as she remembered Tommy, who she had ditched about an hour ago and who by now must have been all over another girl.

"Fuck Clyde." Bonnie muttered as she placed her hand on the edge of the bathtub, resting her head on it as a scowl lingered on her face. Somehow, she felt relieved, it was almost as if she'd left whatever shell of herself, she was in these kinds of crowds, downstairs.

"Can you keep a secret?" Robin seemed nervous as her eyes met those of Bonnie once again, a soft breath leaving her lips. "You look like you would."

"Talk your heart out." Bonnie stated as she stood up and slowly slid into the bathtub alongside Robin, their knees touching as she reached her hand out. Robin laughed as she shook her head at the childish action, but even so, she interlaced her pinky with Bonnie's.

"I think I might be in love?" Robin admitted with a slight hesitation, she couldn't help the dazed smile from spreading across her lips at the mere thought of the person she spoke about.

"Oh! Who?" Bonnie questioned, smiling just as bright as Robin was.

"Tammy Thompson." Robin's answer was slurred and uttered quite quickly, so much so that Bonnie had almost thought she'd heard it wrong. The sudden silence that filled the bathroom felt slightly uneasy as the faded music from downstairs kept it from going dead quiet.

Bonnie fell silent as she tried to connect the dots within her thoughts and yet all she could muster up was a slight nod as she took ahold of Robin's hand, her gaze softening as a smile returned to her lips once again.

"But she's fawning all over Steve Harrington!" Robin uttered in absolute disbelief as she shook her head repeatedly. "Steve Harrington?!"

"She's got horrible taste!" Bonnie added.

"Aren't you here with Tommy Hagan?" Robin questioned as her eyes narrowed slightly and a teasing grin played along her lips. Bonnie groaned in annoyance at the mere mention of his name.

"I know, I know," Bonnie admitted as she carefully stood back up, reaching out her hands for Robin to take. "You'll have to dance with me instead."