02. bite me, bonnie

CHAPTER TWO

CHAPTER TWO

bite me, bonnie.

     When Bonnie Petrova had envisioned her summer stuck with a pair of ten-year-olds in her dad's bright blue escort was not at the top of her list. She turned up the radio just a bit louder to drown out the loud chattering from Claire and Erica. They were best friends, neighbours and absolute nightmares. She couldn't get to the mall fast enough, not just to get rid of the kids for a couple of hours but also to spend her entire day with Robin in her little sailor uniform. That was at least something to look forward to. Spending her time with Robin might be her favourite way of spending her summer, even if she was slinging ice cream and Bonnie was waiting to take the devil home.

"Are we almost there? You drive so slow. We'll be late." Claire complains as she leans forward, resting her arms on the back of Bonnie's seat. Her shrill voice was nagging, way too close to her ear.

"Late for what, Claire?" Bonnie asks, trying her best to focus on the road as her grip on the steering wheel tightens. She couldn't wait to get out of the car. The air condition had broken just before they left, on the hottest day of July. Sometimes Bonnie truly did wonder if she was cursed somehow.

"We have friends waiting for us," Erica explains annoyed at Bonnie's question as if it's the most obvious thing in the world.

"Unlike you and Robbie. So if you could just hurry up?" Claire adds, snarky in such a way that makes Bonnie want to hit her head against the dashboard.

"It's Robin, and you know that." Bonnie corrects her sister while rolling her eyes in the process. Claire was playing dumb, they both knew that. Robin practically lived at their house since the two had met at that Halloween party late last year.

"Of course, I know. Robin is, like, your only friend." Claire teased. It took everything in Bonnie not to throw an equally snarky remark her sister's way, maybe something about how ridiculous she looked dressed in hearts from head to toe.

From her purple heart earrings to her neon green socks, there was plenty to make fun of.

"That's just sad," Erica adds with a smirk, her arms crossed as she glares at Bonnie. For a bunch of ten-year-olds whose entire summer depended on Bonnie and her driver's licence, they sure had a lot to say.

"Ouch," Bonnie says, placing a hand over her heart as if it was the worst thing she had ever been told. She couldn't care less.

"We're here," Bonnie announces as the bright blue escort comes to a somewhat bumpy halt in the mall parking lot. Something both girls in the backseat grossly exaggerate. They can't get out of the car fast enough, throwing open the door and rushing out.

"Meet me back here at six!" She yells at them as they somehow already crossed halfway over the parking lot, Bonnie coursing after them hardly being able to lock the car.

"Hey, Shitbirds. Got that?!" Bonnie adds as she runs after them, earning some odd glances from the families around her. She looked crazy, yelling at a bunch of kids. If only they knew the little devils those girls truly were.

"Bite me, Bonnie!" Claire shouts back with a scowl, not even bothering to turn around as she and Erica made their way into Starcourt.

that fucking child, Bonnie mumbled under her breath.

After walking through the Starcourt mall for a bit, Bonnie wanders into the ice cream parlour. Relieved to finally have a moment of peace, but instead of Robin waiting for her behind the register in her little sailor outfit, it's none other than Steve Harrington, blue shorts, matching sailor's hat and all.

"Ahoy there." Steve greets with a bright smile that seems to widen even more at the sight of Bonnie Petrova. "If it isn't my favourite customer," He adds causing her to scoff and shake her head with a grin.

"You survived." He gestures to her with a boyish grin playing on his lips. He places his hands on the counter, leaning on them as he looks at Bonnie. The light streaks of blonde contrasting with her dark hair and the countless freckles that had decorated her face due to the scorching sun outside distracted him for a second.

Luckily Bonnie didn't seem to notice. She never did.

"It was only a twenty-minute car ride and I was ready to strangle them," Bonnie admits with a scoff. Deep down, she did love her sister, but this year, Claire had become an absolute nightmare. Maybe this was just who she was and would always be, or maybe, it was just puberty and she would eventually grow out of it. Bonnie hoped it was the latter.

She didn't know how much longer she could live like this.

"We could always hide the bodies, you know," Steve suggests and for a second, Bonnie did consider it. "I might know a place." He adds, already regretting it as he catches Bonnie's hesitant grin. Didn't sound creepy at all.

"Tempting, very tempting," Bonnie states with a smile, by now she was holding up the line, but Steve didn't even seem to notice the annoyed customers piling up behind her. He only had eyes for her.

"Hey, Bonnie! Over here." Robin greets as she makes her way over to Bonnie from the booth she was sitting in, wrapping an arm around her shoulders and dragging her out of the line: "Dingus here isn't bothering you, is he?"

"No, Robin, he isn't." Bonnie rolls her eyes, but can't help the smile from lingering on her lips. Steve let out a loud sigh at Robin's words before returning his attention to the person next in line as his smile faltered slightly.

Robin opened the door to the backroom for Bonnie, but before she followed after her she gestures from her eyes to Steve with a scowl, signalling that she was watching him.

"Watching that, Bonnie. It made me want to gauge my eyes out." Robin admits in disgust, pretending to gag as she walked over to the glass dividers. She made sure Steve could hear the last part of her sentence before dramatically closing them and turning around to face Bonnie again with a bright smile.

"He wasn't flirting with me." Bonnie defends herself, sitting down on one of the chairs. Robin had brought this subject up countless times, ever since she had begun hanging out at Scoops Ahoy. She was slowly getting sick of it. Steve Harrington was not flirting with her, he never would, and she stood by that statement. He was just being nice.

"No, you're right. He's so bad at flirting it doesn't even count." Robin adds with a cheeky grin before she sits down on the windowsill again. She had twenty minutes of her break left and wanted to do nothing more than to talk Bonnie's ear off for the remainder of it.