08

PART EIGHT
OF RINKO & JEONGGUK'S STORY

"You think he'll like my letter, Rinnie?" Taehyung asks as a busy Rinko arranges a rose petal on her small garden filled with daisies and sunflowers drowning in the overpowering heat of the Busan summer. She sighs under her breath because she knows nothing of this boy Taehyung was talking about and although she wants nothing but the best for her new friend, Rinko doesn't exactly know what to say.

"Who exactly is the letter for? Do I know him by any chance?"

Yes. Rinko knows Jeongguk very well.

"Speaking of which—I think I have to go, Rinnie. Sorry for bothering you."

Taehyung leaves in a hurry. Again. And Rinko doesn't know if she should be suspicious or completely utterly unfazed of what her friend has been up to while talking about a lover of his own. She doesn't know if she should even vent to Taehyung about her own feelings for Jeongguk. Feels as if it's too much burden on his shoulders, but ever since Jimin left Busan she's been feeling uneasy. The uneasy where Rinko would walk back and forth just to sort her thoughts out.

She stops short on her thoughts and realizes that Taehyung had dropped something on the way out of Rinko's flower garden. The piece of paper looks thick and almost as if it was placed on the soil on purpose nearing the lonely sunflower. The sunflower had died, but Rinko still keeps it there. Just in case it decides to live again, she always say but there's really no point. Rinko just likes to hope for things that are unbearable to happen. Only magic will let that sunflower live again.

She slowly unfolds the piece of cardstock beneath her trembling fingers. This is almost a crime. Almost as if rummaging through a personal diary never to be read by anyone other than the writers themselves. Rinko doesn't stop herself and as bad as it sounds, she wanted to know very badly of who Taehyung had been crying over.

Dear Rinko,

I met this boy too. His name is Jeongguk and he's very much in love with you. As I am with him. I know nothing will result in this unrequited love of mine so I've kept quiet for the time being until now. I'm not mad at you nor will I ever be. You've comforted me through times I didn't know I'd survive. You've consoled me not knowing I was crying over such jealousy seeing you and Jeongguk together. I formed such hatred for the mere fact of Jeongguk's heart being yours, but I think it's time. I'm handing him over to you now (although he had never been mine to begin with). Please take care of him for me as I will with myself. It's time that I focus on my well being before others. I don't want to lose myself too.

Taehyung.

She cries a river that night. For the most of reasons. One of them was leaving Jeongguk behind, but Busan isn't home for her.

Rinko misses home.

+
last chapter before the ending scene :)