Chapter 24: "The therapist and the alcoholic."

*TRIGGER WARNING*

Singer Salvage Yard, Sioux Falls, South Dakota

    The sky was pitch black and the few stars that could be seen shined dimly down upon Cassandra Moore and Dean Winchester. They were seated on the hood of one of Bobby's old rusting junk cars, each with a single bottle of beer in their grasps. Dean brought the bottle to his lips and took a swig, crossing his ankle over the other and trapping Cassandra's legs beneath his. She turned her head and smiled up at him from her spot between his legs, earning a small peck on the lips. A giggle bubbled past her lips and Dean had the feeling that she was finally buzzed halfway through her third beer.

    "What?" he asked. He couldn't help but smile at the blonde. Cassandra simply shook her head and Dean sighed lightly, the scent of beer drifting down to Cassandra. She wasn't very fond of the smell, but she was just glad it didn't take over Dean's signature scent of leather, whiskey, and the Impala.

    "Nothing. I'm just...happy."

    Dean arched a single eyebrow at her words. Happy? The Apocalypse loomed over them and the constant threat of angels and demons lurked around every corner. Cassandra was practically a fugitive from Heaven and no side would stop until they had her. He couldn't find a reason to be happy. Cassandra seemed to noticed this and nudged him slightly, still smiling.

    "I'm happy I'm with you, idiot. It's calm for once. Just you and me drinking beer and staring up at the few stars we can see," Cassandra explained. Dean wrapped his arms around the blonde and she pressed herself against him, sighing as she let her head drop on his chest. "I haven't felt this good in a long time," she added quietly. Dean lifted his free hand and started to run it through her hair. Cassandra's eyes fluttered closed and she let out a hum at the soothing feeling. "That's nice."

    "Yeah?"

    "Mhm."

    Dean chuckled softly, massaging his fingers into her scalp. Cassandra sighed, a smile playing on her blood red lips. "You're spoiled," Dean mused. Cassandra scoffed, shaking her head.

    "I wish. Jess was the favorite, not that I blame Mom and Dad. She was successful and she had a social life. She was perfect. She deserved Sam." Cassandra opened her eyes and frowned slightly. "Jess deserved the world and our lives ripped it away from her." Dean sighed and planted a kiss on the top of her hair.

    "It wasn't your fault, Cassy. You hadn't known the truth then. None of us did. Sam was out and he thought they were safe and you were halfway across the country. No one could have stopped it," Dean told her. Cassandra pressed her lips in a thin line, knowing better than to argue. The last thing she wanted was to get in another fight when the last few days had been so peaceful between Dean and Cassandra. Dean sucked in a sharp, nervous, breath, playing with the ends of her hair. Cassandra noticed his silence and stiff posture and looked back up to Dean.

    "Dean? What's wrong?" she asked. He shook his head. "Seriously. What's wrong? You can tell me, you know that." Dean sighed and glanced away, his gaze shifting around the junkyard distractedly.

    "I know it's hard to talk about, but I noticed that you've never really told me about your...past besides the scars on your stomach," Dean said. Cassandra's breath hitched in her throat and she nodded. She understood where Dean was coming from. He had opened up to her about Hell plenty of times and only once had she brought up her past. Cassandra glanced around to make sure they were alone and away from prying ears before staring down at her lap and fumbling with her fingers.

    "Jess and I...we were close. Maybe even closer than you and Sam." Dean's eyebrows rose in shock. Sam said Jess hadn't talked about Cassandra much so he figured they weren't as close to each other as it seemed. "When I got word of her death, I completely snapped. Mom hadn't heard from me in days and even our dad couldn't get ahold of me." Cassandra sucked in a sharp breath, pushing back the tears.