XXIII

ACT V | SCENE XXIII

BIRTHDAY SONG

A DOZEN QUESTIONS whizzed through jimin's mind in that moment. what was she doing here? how had she gotten in without an invitation? and if she had one, how had she gotten it? had bora invited her? did she know whose birthday party she had basically just crashed now? why was she was yelling his name and calling attention to herself?

his leg began to twitch where he sat, fingers splayed through his hair in one quick swoop, his face contorting in something between a smile and a grimace. the twitching in his leg increased as she approached him, practically prancing and all smiles.

"did you invite her?" taehyung leaned close to him, voice a whisper. "do i look insane to you?" jimin replied testily, eyes darting to rosalie to see she was still occupied with the new game hoseok had initiated and then to jangmi who was looking in nari's direction, brow lifted in question.

his fingers were drumming that familiar beat his body seemed to relapse into in moments like this. he took a sharp intake of breath as nari stopped in front of him, bright smile still plastered on her face. he got on his feet, clearing his throat awkwardly. "nari, what are you doing here?"

her bottom lip jutted in a slight pout. "park jimin, are you unhappy to see me?" yes. "no, no. that's not it. i'm just surprised to see you here is all." he shook his head, still unable to form a proper smile on his face. "oh, your mother invited me." she answered.

jimin's eyes widened as they drifted to the table where his mother sat, a satisfied smirk on her face. he pinched the bridge of his nose, eyes closing as he attempted to keep the annoyance out of his face. she shouldn't feel so victorious just yet. he'd told her already that he had absolutely no interest in the jeon's second daughter but as usual, it had fluttered past park hyunjoo's ears like an evening breeze.

"so where's the birthday girl?" nari glanced around. "uh, she's over there. the one with the red princess dress trying to hit the piñata." he gestured stiffly toward rosalie. "aw, she's so pretty." nari cooed. "she is." jimin smiled. "oh hi, taehyung!" nari waved. the man smiled at her. "hey, nari."

jimin knew she was coming even before he saw her, took in the smell of strawberries and cream that always seemed to waft through the air when she was close by. he inhaled deeply, running his hand through his hair.

"hi," she stopped next to him. nari's gaze shifted to the woman. "hi. you must be rosalie's mum." she beamed. "yes. and you are?" jangmi let her voice trail off at the end. "jeon nari. jimin's girlfriend." the woman held out a hand.

"oh, jimin didn't tell me he had a girlfriend." jangmi glanced at the man who had stiffened, his eyes on nari. "i'm han jangmi." she smiled at the other woman, taking her outstretched hand. "nice to meet you. i brought a present for the birthday girl." she handed jangmi a small pink box.

"you didn't have to but thank you." jangmi smiled earnestly, taking the box from her. "i hope you don't mind me crashing your daughter's party." nari clasped her hands in front of her. "of course not!" jangmi waved off her worry. "after all, her father invited you." she added, tapping jimin's arm lightly.

"i have to go now, i have lots of things to take care of. if you need anything, refreshments are on the table over there. or you could ask jimin." jangmi smiled again before walking off in a swoosh of blush coloured grecian gown.

taehyung blew into another balloon as he stared wide eyed at nari who had stiffened when jangmi mentioned the word 'father'. he glanced at jimin who was still tapping his fingers against his thigh.

"father?" she turned to the man before her. "my mother didn't tell you?" jimin rubbed a finger over his nose, sniffing. "rosalie's my child." he flinched when he felt taehyung's shoe meet the back of his leg. clearing his throat, he tried again. "um, i'm sorry to drop it on you like this." his hand came up to rub the back of his neck.

"h-how come no one mentioned it? are you secretly married?" the smile on her face now was forced. jimin pursed his lips. "actually...uh...i-"

"it's time for the cake!" hoseok's loud cheery voice cut him short. he twisted around to see that the cake was being moved to a smaller table that had been placed at the centre.

the photographer took pictures as rosalie ran toward it. hoseok waved jangmi over and then turned to him, doing the same. jimin glanced back at nari who had her lips pressed in a straight line. she nodded her head at him as she sat.

jimin strode to the front where jangmi already was with their daughter. he crouched next to rosalie, smiling when she pulled on his cheek. the flash of the camera as the photographer took a picture made him blink.

"okay, let's sing the birthday song!" hoseok urged. there was a loud, disharmonious chorus as everyone sang while jangmi helped a beaming rosalie wrap her hand around the plastic knife. jimin grinned as she cut the cake, the crowd erupting in applause.

"can i eat it now?" she whispered to her mother who laughed. "i'll cut you a huge slice, hmm?" she whispered back. rosalie nodded enthusiastically as the cake was moved again. "why don't you go sit with your friends for now?" jimin asked. she nodded again, skipping away to her table.

jangmi stood, glancing to her side to see that brigitte was already getting the cake ready, namjoon by her side, assisting her. her mouth lifted up in a small smile. they looked cute together.

"do you need help with anything?" jimin asked next to her. "no. why don't you go spend time with your girlfriend? i'm sure she came here for you." she answered, glancing at him, face not giving away any of her thoughts. he grimaced, eyes shutting. "she's not my girlfriend." he said tight-lipped. her left brow quirked up. "it doesn't seem like she knows that."

jimin hated how she said that. it sounded normal enough but her tone almost felt condescending. he sucked in a deep breath. "my mother invited her here." he stated as she began to move again. "ah, she's received hyunjoo's stamp of approval." she sounded a bit bitter even as something akin to amusement laced her voice.

"i don't want to marry her." he ran his hand through his hair, soft sigh leaving his lips. "why are you telling me? i don't really care. besides you can just do the same thing you did to me. did it once before, a second time shouldn't be that hard, right?" she remarked, walking faster and leaving him by himself, gawking.

she really wasn't ever going to let him forget that.

☀☀☀

the saga continues lmao. i actually love this mess of a chapter because jangmi's attitude. i'm soo proud of the boys! they won artist of the year second year in a row! *wipes tears* i'm actually like so happy rn you wouldn't believe.
++ i've had mic drop remix on loop for days please send hel-