day 23 - arguing

"I haven't decided whether I'm going to stay here or not for Christmas," said Draco as he stroke Harry's baby-soft hair. It was the last day before people went home for the Christmas holidays. Draco and Harry were cuddling in their dormitory.

"Really? I'd just assumed you were staying..." said Harry.

"Why'd you assume that?"

"Dunno," Harry shrugged. "I guess I just thought you'd stay here with me. It is our first Christmas as boyfriends, after all."

"I know, but my mother..." said Draco. "And my father, too, I suppose. I should see them."

"You've always had them," Harry pointed out. "How many times have you had me like this before?"

Draco was growing impatient. "They're my parents, Potter!"

"I'm your boyfriend!"

"I know, but I see you for the entire school year. What's that next to a couple of weeks with my parents?"

"Why can't you just stay here?"

"Why can't you stop being so selfish?"

Harry scowled at him.

"Don't give me that," said Draco. "Look - why don't you go home with Weasel?"

"Don't call him that," Harry said on instinct. "Besides, I'm going to give him and his family space this Christmas. It's their first without Fred."

"They treat you like you're a part of the family anyway-"

"That doesn't matter. I'm not. It's my fault that Fred's dead anyway. It would be too hard."

"It isn't your fault," said Draco. "Stop telling yourself that."

Harry sighed. "So you're going home, then?"

Draco shrugged. "I'd like to see my parents. But I'd miss you. I'd miss kissing you..." he laughed.

"No, no, I'm sorry for being a prat," Harry said, shaking his head. "If you want to go home to your parents, you deserve to."

"But now you've made me even more confused. I really don't know what to do."

"I'm sorry for being an arse," Harry whispered, apologising again. He leaned forward and kissed Draco. They spent the next few minutes making out, and then Draco suddenly realised something and gasped, pulling his lips away from Harry's

"What is it?" Harry asked.

"I've just remembered... My parents will want to sit me down with suitors."

"Suitors?"

"Yes. People who I could end up being married to. People who will keep the bloodline pure."

"You don't believe in that though, right?"

"No," said Draco. "-but that doesn't matter. I'll still have to marry someone. Some stupid pureblood girl, too. Even if I do eventually grow to love her, it would still have been an arranged marriage. I'd rather marry someone I love, rather than marrying someone and then loving them later on."

"If you're going to have to marry someone else... What's the point of this?" Harry asked after a moment.

"Of what?" Draco asked.

"This," said Harry. "Us."

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, why are we fucking around like this if you're going to have to go and marry someone else anyway? What's the point of being in a relationship now if it's not going to count for anything?"

"Potter, must I remind you that I do not have a choice in this arrangement-"

"You could break the rules! You could just say to your parents, 'You know what, Mum and Dad, I don't want to marry that person. I want to love someone, and then marry them.'."

"It isn't that easy, Potter," Draco sighed. "Believe me, if it were, I would have said something a long time ago. Sadly, however, it's not."

"Why don't you just rebel?"

"What?"

"I know you love your parents, Draco, but you obviously aren't happy. If they love you, they'll want you to be happy. And to do that, they need to reconsider options for your marriage."

Draco rolled his eyes. "I could never-"

"Why not?" Harry half-shouted. "Hmm?"

"I - I don't know," said Draco. "I just need to talk to them. I'll go home and talk to them. Let's just pray that I don't come back to Hogwarts in January married."

Harry grinned. "You better not."

"If I do - there is nothing you can do about it!"

"Of course there isn't!" Harry shouted. "You're just too fucking scared to stand up to your parents, that's what's really going on here."

"Excuse me?"

"I think you heard me, Malfoy," said Harry. "You're too much of a mama's boy to dare stand up to them and ask for what you actually want. You'd do anything they ask."

"Choose your next words very carefully, Potter," said Draco quietly. Anger was bubbling up inside of him. He hadn't been so furious with Harry in a long time. "You have no fucking idea what it's like to be forced into everything; to not have a say in your own future. Of course, you don't. Your parents are dead."

He regretted it the moment the words passed his lips, but it was too late. Harry scowled at him and hastily pulled a t-shirt on, then left the room, slamming the door behind him. Draco sunk onto his pillows and sighed. What an idiot move.

--

I rewrote this a couple of times because I wasn't sure about it. What do you guys think?

Don't forget to vote! Follow me if you haven't done so already, or add this fic to your library so that you get notified when I update it. If you've got any other Drarry-loving friends that haven't read this, please share it with them. Thank you for all of your support <3