Chapter 8, Part 1: Natalina

"How in the hellfires at the end of the world do you not have it?" Natalina Casper asked, trying very hard to keep her hands off the throat of the clerk busy making her life difficult.

Not that attacking this 'clerk' would get her very far. The goon sitting behind the counter had arms roughly the size of her waist, and a calm, assured mannerism that reminded her more of the shadows she had met earlier today.

She had arrived at the Army's records office almost an hour ago, to see the autopsy for Colonel Carla Darrower. Although the official publications attributed her death to 'natural causes', an umbrella term that meant 'we don't know', she still wanted to review the actual report.

Which apparently wasn't here.

"Ma'am," the clerk said, in that quiet and unnervingly calm voice that she was starting to learn was how dangerous people really spoke. "I don't have the record you're asking for. I also have no record explaining why I don't have that record. We reached the point in our conversation when I point you to my superiors, and offer to schedule you an appointment in six to sixteen weeks."

"Six to sixteen weeks? Look, you gorilla, Colonel Carla Darrower's autopsy was done at least two days ago. The undertakers don't screw around with a Colonel's death, which means they've already finished and the report is in your archives. Now let me see them, or the only thing I get to write about is your missing report," Casper seethed as she spoke, trying hard to hide her fear of the burly clerk.

"Ma'am, I don't have the report. I have nothing that tells me why I don't have the report. No, I won't let you back there to verify its absence. Now, unless there's another record I can find for you, and you don't want the appointment my superiors will probably reschedule until the end of the Gloam, you have no reason to be here," the clerk said, and somehow managed to look more menacing without moving.

"It's all right," a voice said from behind her, and she whirled to see a man dressed in simple, unadorned military attire, leaning casually against the doorway. "If the report is actually in there, I'll authorize its release."

His sword had four bars on it. A Colonel.

"I wasn't giving her the run-around, sir. I really don't have it," the clerk admitted, and the shift in his mannerism was striking. This wasn't simple obedience that the over-muscled soldier was showing to the old man. The clerk's eyes were wide, he had stood to attention, and he seemed unsure if he should be saluting.

This was the reverence that came from meeting one of your life's heroes.

"I see," the Colonel said, with a slight frown. "That's a serious thing, corporal....."

"Vargas, sir. Jerome Vargas. Records division, second Brigade."

"You have the bearing of a seasoned soldier, Corporal. What are you doing here?" the Colonel asked.

"I was reassigned by my Captain, sir. They thought I'd be good at telling reporters 'no'," Corporal Jerome Vargas replied.

"Corporal Vargas, consider yourself relieved of any and all other duties for the moment. Make finding this report, and the reason for its absence, your only duty until you retrieve it. Someone will be transferred to fill in for you. Report to me directly," the Colonel ordered, and even Natalina was startled by the comfortable, assured tone of authority.

"Yes, sir!" The clerk said, saluting smartly. The colonel returned the salute, before turning away and passing through the door.

Natalina leaned on the desk, and in a rushed whisper asked, "Who was that?"

Corporal Vargas shot her an incredulous look. "Colonel Redgrave."

"Burn me!' she hissed to herself, and ran after the Colonel.

And nearly tackled him, as he was leaning against the wall just feet from the doorway. He smiled as she nearly skidded to a stop. "Figured you'd want a word," he said, and his voice sounded surprisingly like the kind of war horn they used in plays.

"Colonel Redgrave! The colonel Redgrave!" she said, breathlessly.

The man before her was one of the City's legends. Hero of the Fifth Invasion, a soldier for over forty years who was known for refusing promotions because he felt the soldiers in his current command were not adequately prepared for his absence, he had been directly responsible for the training of two colonels and a secretary. Only the recently disgraced Colonel Varnell had served longer.

He was also the likely front-runner to become the next Lord Captain. Which made him the prime suspect in this conspiracy of hers.

She wished her head would keep up with her feet sometimes.

Did you want me to have a copy of the undertaker's report sent to your paper by courier?" the old soldier asked, taking a small pad of paper and a charcoal stick out of his pocket.

"Um..." She stammered, not entirely sure where to start. There were so many questions he could potentially answer, and so many questions that might make him very suspicious. "Please do. Send it to the Tributary, care of Natalina Casper."

"Casper?" Colonel Redgrave asked, raising an eyebrow. "The bane of Civil Development? I remember your series on their refusal to build tram lines across the river. Superb work. I'm a little worried about what you're looking for now, though. Especially since you're asking for the autopsy for a Colonel."

"Well, I've tipped my hand, haven't I?" Natalina asked.

"Indeed you have," Redgrave replied, but his stance didn't shift at all. "It seems like a bit of a stretch, though, don't you think? Any missing vote when the Lord Captain dies is suspicious, I'll admit as much, but one death is hardly a conspiracy."

"Hard to say. I haven't read the autopsy," Natalina replied carefully.

Valen chuckled. "True. But Darrower's death by itself isn't that unusual. We Colonels have seen a lot of years."

"Combine that with Varnell being stripped of her commission?"

"Is that the popular story?" Valen asked. He looked slightly annoyed. "Varnell demoted herself. I have my suspicions about why, but if you want answers, you can find her at the last wall, training recruits."

"And Farthington? You don't think two dead Colonels in the space of a week, right when the Lord Captain dies, isn't suspicious?" she asked.

Valen's eyes widened, and his expression went flint-hard. "Farthington? How?"

Abyss below, Natalina thought to herself. He either didn't know, or was disturbingly good at acting. "He was killed in the incident in the foundry last night. His remains and his sword were identified this morning."

Natalina watched the old solder hiss and exhale sharply, the fingers of his hand resting around the grip of his sword. His reaction was muted, likely from decades of experience hiding the inner turmoil from his soldiers, but it was there.

The old soldier wore an oddly familiar expression, and it took her a moment to remember where she had seen it before. It was the expression he wore on the Fifth Tapestry, as he looked up watching Crafter Olivia Polden holding the wall, alone, against a Golem.

She wanted to trust him. But she couldn't let herself, even if she knew he was not the instigator of this conspiracy. She couldn't trust him to let this come to light.

Which made the next thing he said all the more inspiring. "You have a conspiracy on your hands. Liaise with the Orderlies, and don't come back to any army station with any of this until you have enough evidence to get a newly elected Lord Captain arrested. I'll stall the vote as long as I can, but move quickly. Keep this close to your chest, and keep your editor over-informed, just in case someone manages to throw you off a bridge."

Valen turned away and marched down the hall, leaving her staring after him with her empty note-pad, and an endless stream of questions she couldn't find the voice for.