Chapter 19, Part 2: Tabitha

The train was irritatingly crowded, but the people inside were quick to push themselves out of the way when they saw the colour of Tabitha's coat. Murmurs of 'madam crafter' accompanied the gradually expanding bubble of space that separated Tabitha and Mathias from everyone else aboard.

"You really should have left your coat behind," Maia's said, as he leaned against the window and tilted his hat forward. "Our job is going to be a lot harder with that conspicuous status symbol."

Tabitha smirked. "Envy gives you wrinkles."

"And what does my baby-smooth complexion suggest?" Mathias asked.

"That your face hasn't seen the sun since you first became a shadow. Honestly, is that hat part of the uniform?" Tabitha asked.

Mathias took off his hat, and tapped it against the wall. "This hat is on the Fifth Tapestry."

"And beneath the earth is a Gloamless winter wonderland," Tabitha scathed, as she shook her head.

The next few minutes passed in silence, as Tabitha leaned against one of the posts and tried to relax. She stared out the window, as the train wound its way up above the residences and over the nearby bridge.

The Westerwisp bridge, Tabitha realised as the train carried them over the river. To date, her greatest contribution to the City. And unless she could find some method to circumvent the laws of nature, this bridge would be her final legacy.

"It's not a bad monument," Tabitha said aloud.

Mathias glanced at her, silently inviting her to explain.

"This bridge. We could only build across at three spots before. Perhaps I'm just worrying that it will be my last contribution," Tabitha said.

Mathias nodded to her, his face impassive.

"I'm feeling a touch morbid of late. Like I can see the end coming," Tabitha explained.

"You're not thinking about sparing him again, are you?" Mathias asked.

Tabitha smiled and shook her head. "No. But answer me honestly, executioner mine. How did you feel, when I showed you the designs for my airships? How did it feel, after you read his paper?"

The train passed over the bridge and followed the track as it wound towards the north.

Mathias didn't respond to her question for a long moment. His gaze turned away from her, and he stared out at the Spire. "It's been hard to think of anything else."

"You see? How can killing this boy be so straightforward for you?" Tabitha asked.

"This is the dilemma of my work, madam crafter," Mathias said. "How far am I willing to risk the City for the promise that one life holds?"

"Are you still talking about Gerald?" Tabitha asked.

"No," Mathias said simply, his gaze hard and humourless. "Your ambitions are a dream unlike any other. And yet, if my judgment fails you, how much of the City will we lose? It's the same question you now face."

Tabitha found herself unable to respond, or even look her shadow in the eye. Shame wracked her, twisting her stomach into knots. Her mind leapt to recall her own recent hours, lost as her mind would slip from her will, and reach for the flame.

"I'm not making this decision for you," Mathias replied.

Just as Mathias finished speaking, Tabitha felt the train lurch and squeal, the brakes jerking them to a sudden stop well between stations.

"This isn't one of our stops," Mathias remarked, and Tabitha marched towards the front of the train, looking for a better vantage.

Ahead, Tabitha could see a dozen soldiers waiting at the upcoming platform. It wasn't a regular passenger platform; the off-ramp was hardly large enough to accommodate a dozen people.