Chapter 18, Part 3: Natalina

Marigold Estoban lead their party through the dark, her hand haloed in orange fire that only barely pushed against the night.

"This darkness, it's so..." Natalina reflected as she followed Coraline along the path.

"Dark?" Stenman Xavier offered.

"Am I about to get told-off for pointing out the obvious?" Natalina asked him.

"Not at all," Stenman replied, and Natalina was surprised to see Porters' boss' face was oddly sombre. "I notice it too, when I come back from being topside. The City exists because it burns. There's no room for darkness."

"There is no night in the City," Marigold reflected, ahead of them.

"There can never be," Coraline added.

"And on that grim thought, our meeting place is five minutes away," Stenman said. "Sound carries extremely well through these tunnels, so from here on out, don't say anything I don't want overheard."

"Which is Xavier for 'shut the burning hell up about our guests'," Marigold added.

"Right, boss," came a chorus of murmurs in reply, as nearly a dozen people drew their weapons and started moving forward.

"Crafter Estoban," Xavier said softly. "Please do not reveal yourself too early. We have a very limited window where the members of the Coal Oven will think they have an advantage. People tend to tighten their lips when they know they're being threatened. And from what you've told me, time is essential. Leave this to me, for as long as you can."

"I understand. But if this goes south, I'd like something from you," Coraline said.

"Get your sister out? I can-" Xavier said, but Coraline laughed, cutting him off.

"No, I want you to leave the violence to me," Coraline replied.

"Ma'am, have you ever killed anyone before?" Xavier asked, sceptically.

"Half a dozen, last night," Natalina said.

"Boss, if my sister throws down, there isn't anything in the Undercity to stop her. There's apparently a very brief list of people in the City they could call to fight her."

"Where did you learn that?" Coraline asked.

"My, uh, contact in Research."

"Oh, burn my eyes out of with molten metal. Could you please stop talking about sleeping with Theo?" Coraline asked.

"I'm not sure this is the time for-" Stenman began to say, but Natalina elbowed him.

"Thought we'd wait a few days before you start disapproving of my love life," Marigold said.

"It's just, Theo?" Coraline asked.

"Have you seen his apartment windows? It's a giant glass ball," Marigold said. "And the soirees he's willing to take me to!"

"Just no," Coraline muttered, covering her ears.

"Marigold, eyes forward. Heart hard," Stenman said, his voice somehow dropping half an octave as he stepped forward.

"Aye, boss," Marigold replied, flexing her fingers. Her other hand burst into flames, and she started forward at a hard march, her boots clapping against the stone.

Another few minutes of walking brought them into a wide cave, with a series of track set on the ground, and torches set in irregular intervals along the walls. The cave, to Natalina's surprise, was already occupied by two dozen people, two of whom were casually holding tendrils of flames in their hands.