(3) "That's ridiculous Breck,"

"Mom?!" My heart starts beating wildly, my head spinning as I look up at Dylan, wondering if he'd heard the same thing I had. His wide smile and bright eyes confirms that he shares my excitement.

"Mom, you— you know who I am?" I tuck a piece of my long blonde curls behind my ear, as if that'll somehow help me hear her answer better.

"Well of course I know my own daughter!" She answers cheerfully, rolling her eyes as if I've completely lost my mind and I start to wonder if perhaps I have. "I see you two are finally together."

I notice Mom's eyes locked on my hand in Dylan's, her lips twitching with excitement. She'd never been too shy about the fact that she thought we'd make a good couple and I dreaded having to tell her that we aren't a couple at all. I don't want to make Dylan feel uncomfortable by forcing him into a fake relationship so I start to panic, not sure what to say next.

"Uh yeah you were right," Dylan speaks up, untangling his hand from mine and wrapping it around my shoulder. "Just couldn't hide my feelings for this girl any longer."

I stare at him with the utmost appreciation, mouthing a thank you as he gives me a teeth baring grin and a wink.

"Well you were never doing a good job at hiding your feelings in the first place," Mom laughs flicking her wrist dismissively. "I told your father! I said, watch those two get together before high school finishes."

The ground suddenly feels unsteady, my head spins, the smile I'd been wearing a moment ago is now a tight line as I meet her eyes, swallowing the lump that very quickly formed in my throat. Dylan squeezes my shoulder softly but I keep my eyes on Mom, trying to process what I'd just heard.

"Um, Mom.." I kneel down in front of her, taking her hand in mine. "How old am I?"

"Bethany!" She giggles. "Have you completely lost it?! Your eighteen!" She suddenly gasps, her free hand covering her mouth as she gazes at me affectionately. "You're eighteen! God baby you've grown so quickly! Off to college soon! Your father is quite excited that you've chosen to follow in his footsteps."

Tears prickle my eyes, my nose stinging as I fight the urge to completely meltdown. This is my Mom. She might believe that it's seven years earlier, she might believe that I'm in a relationship with my best friend. She might believe that I'm looking forward to life as a lawyer. But I haven't had a coherent conversation with her in years and right now, I'll take what I can get.

"Yeah, um I'm really excited about college," I tell her after I've taken a steadying breath. "I think it'll be.. great."

"Oh it will be sweetheart! It'll be wonderful for you and your father's relationship! Dylan, sweetie," Mom gazes over my head as I swallow the bitter pill that she'd just served. "Grab that chair, there's only one, but Bethany can sit on your knee."

"Oh Mom, I'm fine on the floor, it's fine."

My argument is promptly ignored when I hear a chair being pulled along the carpet behind me. Suddenly a pair of hands hook underneath my armpits and lift me to my feet before I'm pulled into a warm lap, arms wrapping around and clasping together in front of my abdomen.

This. Is. Torture.

"Don't you two look beautiful together," Mom coos as she rests her tilted head in the palm of her hand. "Dylan how's the family?"

"They're great Cassandra," I can hear the smile in Dylan's voice. "The dealership is going well and Brecken just started working for them."

"Oh that Brecken," Mom chuckles loudly. "He's a charmer! He'll be perfect at selling cars! Where is the family this morning, I thought we'd all be having Christmas together. . ."