(27) "He is dating someone."

Dressing for the part of telling Dylan how I felt was the easiest costume that I'd put together to date.

I dressed up as me.

There was no hiding behind an outfit, playing a part, being someone that I wasn't. I was going to be me.

Even though I still struggled with knowing who I was, I knew enough to know that I was a good friend, I was going to be a bomb older sister and if Dylan would have me, I'd be the most loyal partner that he could ever ask for.

The weather was warming up now but it wasn't hot enough to wear a sundress. So I wore a pair of long overalls with a loose knit underneath it and some docs. Cute, simple and me. I stepped out of the cab in front of the restaurant, inhaling a deep breath as I stared at the front of a place that had once been somewhat of a second home. I spent a ton of time here while Dylan was working and even though it had been just a few months since Christmas, it felt like so much longer.

I walked inside and familiarity surged through me, putting a fire under my steps which carried me around the tables and past the patrons. Not a lot had changed. In fact, nothing had changed. The aroma was delectable, the decor was warm, comforting and the staff smiled as I passed them waiting tables. Albeit, their smiles were laced with surprise. It was nice to know that my absence had been noticed.

My hair was down in loose waves, still a little damp from my shower earlier but I fluffed it as I approached the bar and slipped behind it to find the kitchen. I stood at the threshold and let my gaze wander over the entire room, deflating when I couldn't see him. He might have gone to the bathroom or he could be in the break room.

Before I could extend my search, Jo noticed my lingering and put down the knife she'd been using to fillet a piece of salmon. She smiled and wiped her hands on her apron as she approached me. "Stranger," she teased. "What's going on?"

"Uh not a lot. Is he here?"

Her brows pinched. "No he's looking at the new location."

She must have seen the confusion on my face.

"For the restaurant. He's looking to open a second Hot Plate in SoHo. He didn't mention it?"

I didn't answer her. That was something I should have known. But of course, I'd been so up my own ass with drama, that I didn't even know what was going on in my best friend's life right now. I felt ashamed.

"You alright, girl?" Jo asked.

I nodded and started moving backward. "Give him a message for me?" She nodded. "Tell him to go home between the lunch and dinner rush. Don't tell him I was here. Don't tell him it's about me. Just tell him to go home. Use force if needed."

She winked. Jo was not the sort of person that would oppose to getting her staunch on if need be. There was some sort of plan coming together in my head. A vision. I hadn't planned on doing anything extra but now that the plan to throw myself into his arms and tell him that I love him had been derailed, I figured I might as well make the most of it.

When I got to his apartment, I used the spare key, which hid under the fire extinguisher on the wall, and opened the door. Nothing much had changed but at the same time, a lot had changed. When I was here last, I'd received the phone call that mom was gone, something that I didn't want to dwell on at a time like this, but the point is, I hadn't had the chance to notice how different it looked without a trace of Charlie in it. 

It used to be so sterile. White walls, black polished floorboards, minimal decor, little to no colour. Now, there was character. The walls and floors were still black and white but there were blue couch cushions, various vases around the place that were brimming with beautiful flowers and the best part, the dozens of framed photos on the wall, a good portion of them, were him and I.