Dusk-Chapter Five

CHAPTER 5-CONSEQUENCE

As I turn the knob of the door to my house, I brace myself for what Elle meant as "the consequences." As I enter my house, I find it surprisingly empty. I walk soundlessly across the wooden floor and see that it looks like Elle wasn't here. Her usual coffee cup wasn't sitting on the counter, and there was no smell of her cooked breakfast in the kitchen.

I frown and head up the stairs and into her room. I see that her bed was messy and unmade, but no sign of her.

"Elle?" I call out, but getting no response. "Elle, where are you?"

I take one of her sheets from the bed and pull it off, revealing the metallic smell of blood. Horrified, I rip off all of her sheets to reveal fresh blood stained on her bed. My eyes widen and I shriek. This can't be happening, I think. No, she's still here! This is just a mistake!

I run into her bathroom, making sure that it just wasn't her monthly period and that she was cleaning up in the washroom. As I thrust open the door, I can smell more blood. I shriek again as I see her lifeless body; drowning in a water and blood filled tub, her dead eyes staring into nothing.

"Elle! No! It's not true, not true!" I say, shaking my head and yanking her out of the tub. My shaking fingers brush her hair out of her pale, bloodless face and I see a bite mark on her neck which was oozing her last bit of blood. I gently touch it and see that it was made only a few moments ago.

"Elle...Who did this to you?" I ask her as I caress her face. I couldn't believe this. If I hadn't left her to go see Carlos, I knew this wouldn't have happened. But now she was gone. Everything that mattered to me was disappearing through my own fingertips; I had no more family left for me, no one there to care for me, love me.

I hold on to Elle's hand and squeeze it. I can feel my hair in my face, but I don't care. The tears are dripping down my cheeks and onto my lap, but I don't do anything to stop them. All I do is hold on to my mother; all I do is wish I could say "I love you," to her again and wish she'd hear it.

I sniffle and my hand, which was covered in blood, grabs my cellphone and dials the police. A woman on the other end answers and I tell her all the details: from me leaving to go to Carlos, to finding Elle drowning in her own bathtub with an animal-like bite in her neck dripping her last drops of blood. The woman tells me that they are sending the paramedics and police over to my house.

As I hang up, I drop my phone and close my tear-wet eyes and sob. I sob until I felt like my eyes would burst, but, again, I didn't care. Elle was dead, and I felt like my heart would explode and I would die as well. I hear the door burst open downstairs and people bounding up the wooden steps to Elle's bathroom where I'm cradling her in my arms, and caressing her face.

"Ma'am, I'm going to have to get you to move so we can examine the body," a male police officer tells me.

I shake my head and refuse. I pull Elle closer to me and hug her tight. No one is ever going to take her away from me, ever again.

"Ma'am, please. We understand this tragedy is very hard for you to accept, but we need you let go of the body, please," the man tries again.

That's when I realize they're trying to help me. Very slowly, I let go of Elle and back away, half of my body covered in blood.

"Thank you. The other officers are going to take you to the other room for some questions," he tells me.

Two officers, a man and a woman, escort me into the washroom and they proceed to clean me up, while taking samples of blood and sealing it into plastic bags.

"We've heard you're Ellice Rose. My name is Jennifer, and this is my partner, Zach," the female officer tells me.

I just nod and let them escort me again to my room where they sit me down on my bed and they in the small sofa on the other side of my room.