Dusk-Chapter Six

CHAPTER SIX-NOTE

I stare after Carlos. He was acting very strange lately. I regain my composure and stand up. My mind was spinning from all the crazy things that were happening the past few days. Suddenly I remembered that it was Wednesday. I gasp and quickly dash up the stairs to get ready for school. I brush my teeth and toss my hair into a ponytail. I ran back downstairs and threw in my books and binder into my backpack and raced out the door.

It was eleven o'clock when I got to school. I quickly went to my math class and remembered the girl named Anastasia Hale had mixed one of her papers with mine. I decided I would give it to her at lunch.

The lunch bell finally rang and I headed towards the cafeteria. All of the students there were staring at me. They probably heard of what happened to Elle.

I blink back tears and head towards the Hales' table. Their strange golden-glowing eyes turned to look at me.

"So, who's this?" Nicolai asked me.

I give a small smile. "I'm Ellice Rose."

"I remember you. From Friday," Alex says.

"Yes. We crashed into each in the hall on Friday as well," Anastasia agrees, narrowing her eyes at me.

"That's why I'm here. You, uh, mixed your math test in with my papers," I tell her.

"Oh really. Hand it over then," she says, sticking her hand out.

I dig it out of my binder and put it in her hand. She snatches it from me and glares.

A boy in their table notices and shoots her a look. "Ellice, don't mind her. I'm Damien, by the way."

Serenity nods in agreement. "I remember you too, actually. On Friday as well. Nicolai and I saw you sitting with Delilah and her group."

I nod and excuse myself from their table. The lunch bell rings and I head towards my locker for my social studies textbook.

When I get there, I open my locker and see a note in the textbook. I frown and pull it out. It read: "Meet me at the woods where you hunted with your mother. -Alex"

I stuff the note down my pocket. I was curious to how he knew I hunted with Elle there. But I needed answers from this boy now. I shove my textbook back in my locker, lock it, and race down the halls towards Elle's SUV, which I now used as my car.

I started the engine and started driving to the woods. My palms were sweating because I was so nervous of what he was planning for me there. I kept telling myself to not be afraid, he won't hurt you.

When I get there, I kill the engine and get out of the car. I slowly start towards the woods, and wipe my palms on my jeans.

I can hear faint rustling in the woods so I keep walking. That's when Alex appears in front of me.

"Come on. I have to tell you something. It's important," he tells me. He grabs my arm and pulls me deeper into the woods.

When we're far into the woods, I yank my arm back and stop. "What do you want to tell me, Alex?"

He turns around to face me. His face looked unsure and a bit angry.

"You need to know of how much danger you're in, here in Oregon. Of how much I am of a threat to you," he says.

I stare at him. He just ignores me and continues on.

"You need to know I'm not human," he says softly.

I look at him, confused. "If you're not human, what are you? You're not making any sense."

He looked at me and took a deep breath. "Ellice. Have you ever heard of a vampire?"

I glare at him. "You're making that up," I tell him angrily.

He shook his head. "I'm not. I am a vampire, Ellice. I'm dangerous."

I shake my head. But that's when I know he's not lying. I look at his pale skin, his golden-glowing eyes. I take a step back from him and shake my head again.

"You need to know Ellice, that from the moment you set foot in this school and I saw you, that I fell in love with you," he says.

I look at him, my eyes widening. He took a step towards me, his face unchanged.

"I thirst for your blood, Ellice. I can smell it, and I want it very badly."

I shut my eyes and yell, "No, you can control yourself!"

He shakes his head and gives me a small smile. "I can try, but I can't ever ignore it."

I glare at him. "Why are you telling me this?"

"My sister killed your parents," he told me slowly.

I gasp. "Anastasia? How could she? No, I don't believe that!"

"No, my sister, Giselle. She doesn't go to school. She's always crazy for blood. She is also a psychic. She foresaw you coming here to Oregon," he says.

"Then why'd she kill them? Why!" I ask angrily.

"Giselle loves me. She wants me. But she knew that I loved you, so she killed your parents for revenge," he explains.

My jaw drops. "No...It's not true..." I moaned.

Alex takes a step closer so we're nearly touching. His trembling hand reaches for my face and he gently caressed my cheek. "You have to leave before you get hurt," he says softly.

I pull back. "Where's this Giselle?" I ask furiously.

He stares at me and frowns. "No. She'll kill you if you go see her."

"I don't care. There's no life left for me to care," I say, tears starting to pool in my eyes.

Alex shakes his head. "I have to leave, Ellice. And tomorrow, when I go to school, I don't want to see you there. I want you to go somewhere safe."

And with that, he turns around and runs away. Only it's more like a blur because of his inhuman vampire speed. A vampire. I exhale and fall onto the ground. This just wasn't possible.

I heard footsteps behind me, but I just shut my eyes and tune them out. If it's Giselle, let her come and kill me. Let her get a taste of my blood.

But I was wrong. It was Carlos, and it looked like he was in a hurry. When he saw me, he ran over to me with a small smile on his face.

"Hey," he said softly.

"What are you doing here?" I ask him.

He shifted on his feet and looked at the ground shyly. "I came to apologize for this morning."

I smile. "Apology accepted. How did you find me here?"

He smiled and ignored me. He looked at me, slouched on the ground. "You okay?" he asked, pulling me to my feet.

I brush off the dirt that was left on me. "I'm fine."

"Look, my father arranged the funeral plans for Elle," he told me.

I glanced up at him and muttered, "I'm not coming."

He looked shocked. "What? Why?"

I just give a laugh that wasn't filled with any happiness. "What for? I'm not going to watch my mother die all over again."

He frowned, but then looked at his watch. "I gotta go. See you tomorrow at school?"

My heart sinks when I remember Alex's warning of him being dangerous, and wanting me to leave Oregon.

"Maybe," I tell him.

He nods and smiles and then jogs off deeper into the woods, leaving me more confused and scared than ever.