Chapter Eleven-Return

CHAPTER ELEVEN-RETURN

I drum my fingers in front of the coffee table in Carlos' living room, impatient and shaky. It had been two weeks since I had last since Alex, and I was getting very worried.

"Cheer up, Ellice," I hear Carlos' voice ringing across the room, "I know what you're thinking about, Alex, right?"

Carlos plops down beside me and sneaks a glance at my miserable expression. I ignore his comment and he frowns at me.

"Are you concerned about him?" he asks me strangely.

This brings me back to my senses. "Well, obviously! For all I know, he could be dead!" I exclaim.

He flinches at my tone. "Oh. Well I thought that.." he trails off, twiddling his thumbs.

"You thought what?" I say, softer this time.

"I thought, maybe I could take your mind off things. I really thought we had something special," he replies, staring straight into my eyes.

I'm taken aback by his comment. Did we have something special? Did I feel the same way? Were we meant for each other? There was so many questions, but there was the same answer my mind was repeating: yes. But I was scared as well. I didn't know what I was walking into. When I looked back into those big, hazel eyes, I saw a kind soul ready to open up to me. But I also saw a dangerous werewolf ready to spring into action any moment.

My mind speaks for me and the words leave my mouth. "We do."

His eyes light up with a strange mix of emotions including happiness, excitement, and pure shock. But I can tell he doesn't want to hold back any longer.

He moves in closer to me, his hands going up to my face, and presses his lips to mine. His mouth parts and we kissed, the taste sweet and perfect. My heart fluttered and started to beat faster, not wanting to let go of Carlos. Our lips move in sync and the beats of both of our hearts created a rhythm so strong, so beautiful. When we finally let go, he plants one kiss on my forehead, which spreads a sweet warmth throughout my body.

I'm speechless, so I let Carlos speak first. But I shouldn't have, for a certain reason.

"I love you."

That's why. My mind is processing those three simple words, but it's as if he's knocked the air out of me. My mouth opens, then shuts, unsure of what to say. This bizarre moment has taken another twist of it's own again when Carlos adds, "But you don't feel the same."

Then he simply gets off his seat, turns his back, and walks away.

I'm speechless again. It's like an earthquake in my head, panicking. I don't know what to do. But somehow I know I've hurt Carlos beyond repair, which pains me and I can't help but keel over and bawl my eyes out.

"Alex! Oh, Alex. Where are you?" I shout into the silence.

But of course I get no response like I wanted. I never get what I want.

---

Fresh air. That's what I need. I grab my coat off the hook and leave Carlos' house, stepping into the warm mist air. The shadows play along the trees, and the breeze laps against my cheeks. Then I break into a run, my feet slapping against the hard concrete. My breath comes out in little wisps of air, but I keep running. Running from, escaping from my own problems.

I find myself in a dark forest, and I wince at the fact of being lost. The trees are tall, with strange figures dancing on the branches. An eerie howl every so often comes from either direction, chills running up my spine. At the end of the forest, I see a figure walking towards me.

I consider myself brave. Elle always thought I was. Whenever I was scared I would always find a way to fix things. But not this time.

I hear voices coming from the figure, and notice a second silhouette trailing it. My eyes widen in horror when I recognize the saunter of both shadows, the cold air that surrounds them.

"And what do we have here?" a feminine voice asks playfully.

The strangers reveal their beautiful faces, a strange intensity sinking in. "Alexander, care for me to begin?" Giselle asks.

"Be my guest," he grins evilly, letting go of her pale hand.

"Alex?" I blurt out.

"Ellice?" he mimics my tone.

"Don't," I say, choking on my own words, "Don't hurt me."

"It'll only take a minute, don't worry," he replied, his hand fastening to my neck.

This is the end of my life, I think. But, no, it's only the beginning.