17) A Visit & A Dance

Next morning, I woke up with a strong will to achieve my goal. I was able to avoid a private conversation with Edward for about fifteen hours, now. I am ready to increase that number.

While dressing, I decided to do something that I should have done in days. I went downstairs for breakfast with one mission in my head and for the first time in a while, it did not involve Edward.

"Doctor," I called while we were all eating, "I... I want to ask you for a favour"

"What is it, my dear?" He asked with concern. He was sitting at the head of the table, Meg was next to him on the left side and I was next to her. On the other side, there were Edward and Cecelia.

I swallowed hard and stuttered before I was able to say, "I... I need to visit my parents' graves"

The four of them stopped eating but none of them looked at me.

"I know that it is sudden," I said when none of them said a thing, "But I... I have not visited them at all, I have not paid my tribute to them in all those years and it is... It is haunting me"

"I understand you, my dear," he said with a sad smile, "but how can I help you in this?"

"I... I have never been to a cemetery before," I said looking at my food, "I... I need you to escort me"

"Of course, my dear"

"So, can you escort me, today after breakfast?" I said with a hopeful smile.

"I... I am sorry, my dear," he said, "I cannot go with you, today"

"Oh," I said with disappointment looking at my plate.

"I can escort you"

I looked at Edward to find him smiling at me, "Y... You can?"

"Of course"

"Then, it is settled," Meg said, "Edward will escort you to the cemetery after breakfast"

"Cecelia," I called, "W... Would you like to come with us?"

"No, thank you," She said with indifference, "The cemetery sends a shiver down my spine and it makes me pessimistic"

"You are acting as if you will never visit them," I said with a raised eyebrow.

"I have not and I will not," she said matter of factly, "When they died, I was so tired just like you to go there and I have not visited their grave at all"

While it hunted me every night since their death, my sister could not care less about it.

And Edward still chose her.

After breakfast, I went to the carriage and waited for Edward.

So much to avoiding him.

The journey to the cemetery was quiet. We spend it looking from the window. We stopped in the middle to buy some flowers and once we arrived, he stayed in the carriage to give me privacy.

"Mama, papa," I said kneeling in front of their graved with tears in my eyes, "I have always known that the day would come when I will sit in front of your graves but... but not now, not in this way"

I broke into a fit of crying. Tears just fell from my eyes and I could not stop them. When I gained myself again, I went to my father's tombstone, "Papa, my biggest supporter and my greatest love. No words... No words can describe how much I miss you. Every day, I imagine you having breakfast with your newspaper in your hands. Ev... Every day, I imagine you sitting with your charming smirk on your face, oh father, father, father," I put my head on the tombstone while crying, "I... I need you, father, I do not know what to do. Please, come back, father, please"