Chapter 29

~Aya

Marking, in which a werewolf sinks his teeth into his mate's flesh in order to stake his claim. Usually the mark is either on the neck or the wrist and it's the first step in completing the mating process which consists of marking and claiming.

The second step, claiming, is when mates complete the mating process by having sex. It got something to do with the female carrying the male's scent and as much as I remember, they share their feeling and thoughts through a mind link bond.

"Marking?" I uttered breathlessly.

"Let's talk about this someplace else." Jace sighed, staring at me for a brief moment before leading us through several corridors until we reached our room.

Stepping inside, Jace let go of my hand and closed the door behind him with a light click. He looked deep in thought, like he was thinking about a way to explain things to me without the possibility of having me run away.

But what he didn't understand is that I knew very well that marking is a primal instinct and at some point in our relationship, it was going to happen.

"It's natural for werewolves to mark their mates in a way to tell all other unmated males to back off. It usually happens the instant mates spot each other. Once marking is complete, they're something called claiming but of course that's a talk for another time." He swallowed nervously, a flicker of hesitation passing through his eyes before he continued.

"Now that people know you're my mate, it's kind of necessary that you carry my mark so that no suspicion arises." I hid my smile and stared at him straight in the eye.

"But if you're not ready I totally understand." He quickly added taking my silence as a negative sign.

But it isn't. On the contrary, I'm absolutely ready for this kind of step, hell I was ready a long time ago. Reading about marking is definitely different than being put in the position where you're actually going to have a werewolf bite on your neck.

Here it goes.

"I'm ready." I stated, my voice laced in confidence and certainty. As much as I'm scared of getting teeth sunk into the delicate skin of mine, but I wanted this.

Surprise was written all over his face and the corners of his lips tugged up in a wide brilliant smile that reached his eyes.

"I was hoping to hear that. II felt like a ticking time bomb seeing men staring at you." I let out a laugh and grinned, I like the jealous side of him.

"But I only have eyes for you, you know that right?" I nudged his shoulder playfully.

I squealed thrashing out as his fingers ran along the sides of my waist and tickled me until tears began streaming down my face.