Chapter 2

A lump had formed into my throat as if I was injected by a virus infecting the memory of his death

A lump had formed into my throat as if I was injected by a virus infecting the memory of his death. I swam back to the boat, holding Oscar's body as Danny pulled me up and supported my weight.

Danny trembled as he lifted Oscar's body off my shoulder, placing it into the couch. Janna gaped her mouth open, placing her hand into his chest her naive eyes contorted onto a pain, guilt, and shame.

She paused for a moment collecting her thoughts. Her hands shook with trepidation while she ran one of them into her scalp. She huffed and cursed under her breath.

"Shit. Shit, shit! Goddamit why!" Janna's voice rose as she screamed from the crowd unaware of everyone looking at her.

The sirens halted as officers rushed inside the boat the crowd slowly backed away to make the entrance clear for the group. The officer holds up a bullhorn.

"Alright, I'm gonna need everyone of you take this boat back to the shore." The mic boomed alarming the crowd as they covered their ears.

Janna pushed through the crowd and leaned over the rail looking down at the smaller boat."With all due respect, my friend got drowned and he's... all beaten up. We weren't doing anything wrong."

The officer pointed at his badge." You see this badge? Know why it's here?"

"It came with the shirt that spells 'blind dipshit'." Janna retorted.

"Mam, step aside I'd like to see all your hands up." The officer warned.

"You're looking for this?" I raise my voice lifting Oscar's body as everyone turned their attention on me. The crowd screamed backing away, nearly toppling over petrified, as the officers stumble.

The officer held up the bullhorn."H-Hey! Put your hands up and turn--"

"Deputy Marshall Greene. The victim drowned in the water and you're worried about the curfew?" I responded calmly as the officer shifted and signal his group to grab his corpse.

One by one, everyone stepped out of the boat bowing their heads. While the officers took care of the boat. Janna, Danny, and I trailed behind as the crowd dispersed away from the corpse.

"We'll take further investigation here, just letting the people know it's curfew time." The cop noted.

"Please next time, teach your boys here to show a little respect? And take care of the body." I reminded.

"Will do, Greene. Please step out of the boat, we'll take it from here." He gestured towards the small boat, occupied with lamp light.

We all hopped in as the cop steered the engine heading to the precinct as my eyes averted to the people on the deck, the officers inspecting the boat then to the abyss lake.