three

Patrick sets up the controllers as the video game loads on his dusty Play Station console. He looks over at Nia, seeing her attention fixed on her hands. Her eyes are still bloodshot and her nose just about matches the red in her eyes.

"Start the game without me, okay?" Patrick encourages. "I'll check if we have those pizza rolls you like."

Nia swipes at another tear and nods at the offer. Patrick frowns at the sight and scoots closer to his friend.

"Or I can stay here? You haven't talked since we left the park, Nia," he points out. Nia only shrugs before she puts the controller down and hugs her legs closer to her torso. She rests her forehead on her knees.

"You're really lucky, you know that, Patrick?" Nia rasps.
"Why do you say that?" he asks.
"Didn't you see your dad two weeks ago?"
"Yeah, wh—" Patrick cut himself off, realizing the problem. Everything started to click.

Rapid knocks follow the multiple doorbell rings. This was something that the Stumph family was not used to at ten o'clock at night. Patrick sleepily sneaks into the hallway, his Donatello plush in arm as he peeks to see who is causing the ruckus past his bedtime. His mother opens the door, revealing Nia and her mother. His friend looks tired as well. She also looks scared. Patrick starts to wonder to himself why Nia would be scared. She was willing to face the vast universe and the planets within it. Maybe she had a bad dream or there were monsters under her bed.

Patrick tries to eaves into the conversation between the two mothers, only deciphering some words through limited vocabulary and grogginess. All he understood was "father", "yelling", and Nia's mother asking "can she stay here tonight?"

"Oh, absolutely!" Ms. Stumph whispers. "I'm so sorry you're going through this. Would you like to stay here, too? I'm sure there's room for one more—"
"No, I have to handle this. But thank you for the offer," Nia's mother says. She ushers her daughter inside Patrick's home before they finish their conversation and the door shuts. Patrick grips onto Donatello a little tighter as he musters the strength to step out of the dark hallway.

"Mommy, what's wrong?" Patrick asks as he approaches the two.
"Nia's staying the night, sweetie," she informs him. Patrick nods and brings his attention to Nia. The little girl carries her stuffed bear in her arms, her sleep eyes fixated on the floor. Patrick approaches her, but Nia backs away with a small whimper. The blonde boy furrows his brow in confusion, not sure why his best friend would react in such a way.

"It's okay, sweetie," Patrick's mother says. "It's just Patrick. He won't hurt you."

Nia looks up at her friend. Patrick feels some form of fear in the pit of his stomach. He takes Nia's hand and leads her to his room.

"Do you need a nightlight?" Patrick asks as they venture through the hallways. "I need one. I'm scared of the dark too. It's okay."

Nia remains silent even after Patrick's efforts of initiating a conversation. They reach his bedroom, his turtle shell nightlight allowing the dim light in the space.

"Here. You can sleep on my bed. I'll sleep on the floor. I have a sleeping bag somewhere in my closet."

After the momentary silence, Nia suddenly bursts into tears. Patrick turns and sees his friend's form shaking with each sob.

"Why are you sad, Nia?" he asks. He looks under his bed, seeing nothing but the carpet. "Nia, look! No monsters. I can read you my favorite book if it's from your bad dreams."
"Mommy and Daddy were yelling," Nia sobs. Patrick stands up from checking his bed for Nia, listening to her.

"T-They were fighting! I'm scared," she weeps. Patrick makes his way back to Nia.
"Don't be scared," Patrick tries to console. "I'll still be in the room. My mom's still here and we have a night light. I can get another one if you need it. You have your teddy bear. And if that doesn't work for you," --Patrick goes to his toy bin and fishes out his Raphael plush-- "he will protect you. He's my second favorite, but he's still really cool."

Nia only sniffles and tries to stop crying, her sobs being reduced to whimpers. She takes the turtle plush and holds it close to her torso.

"I also checked if there were monsters under the bed. There aren't. I can check again, if you want me to?" Patrick offers. Nia shakes her head. "You'll be okay, Nia."

"P-Promise?" she stammers through a shattered voice. Patrick nods and helps his friend onto his bed.

"I pinkie promise," he says. The two link fingers to seal their vow. Patrick gives Nia a weak smile before returning to his search for a sleeping bag. He finally comes across the Star Wars sleeping bag he was searching for.

"If Raphael doesn't help, I will protect you," he says as he settles into the makeshift bed. In the dim, green light, Patrick sees that Nia gives a weak smile for the first time.

"Goodnight, Patrick," she says. He smiles back to her.
"Goodnight, Nia."

"Have you heard from him?" Patrick asks as he looks over at Nia.
"That's the worst part. I didn't even get to say goodbye," she huffs. "I just have to pretend like he never existed and all I'm left with is that stupid memory of them fighting and screaming at each other. And you and Tom--"

"I know. I'm so sorry, Nia," he sighs. Patrick wraps his arm around her shoulders and pulls her closer to his side. Nia rests her head on his shoulder. The basic gesture causes Patrick's heart to thrash against his rib cage. He mentally prays that Nia cannot feel his erratic heartbeat in this moment.

"It's stupid," Nia chuckles weakly. "I'm sorry, Buster. You invited me here to have a good time and I'm ruining it."
"No, you're fine," Patrick reassures. "If you need to vent, I'm here. We're not friends for nothing, y'know?"
"Do you have those pizza rolls? I'll wait up for you."
"I'll check," Patrick says as he stands up.

He takes a final glance of Nia before walking quickly to the kitchen, his heart continuing its irrational tempo. He leans on the counter once he reaches the tiled space and takes a number of breaths, hoping to regulate his heartbeat.

This can't be happening, Patrick thinks, the phrase being repeated. Yet the images of Nia's smile flash through the same vessel. The way she laughs, the way her tangled hair still flows beautifully with no effort, the way her eyes change color depending on the lighting and mood.

Patrick covers his face, the flashes engulfing him.

"This can't be happening," he whimpers.

This can't be happening.

A/N:
It's another update bUT WITH A BACKSTORY HOW COOL??? Let me know what you think :)

Comment. Vote. Share.