1

Chapter 1 (Edited: 2019)

"Hey what's up with flame brain over there?" You asked.

"I think that fire of his finally melted his brain," Gray laughed. "But its not like he had much to begin with." Your attention panned to Natsu. He was on the other side of the guild sitting at a table by himself. His eyes had no particular point of focus, and his face was flushed.

"You have the wrong idea stripper." Gajeel mumbled, joining the conversation. 

Gray stood up, an annoyed expression stretched across his face. "You wanna' go metal freak!?" He yelled, not realizing he was exposing himself.

"Hey Gray," you looked down at the floor, a deep blush covered your cheeks.

"What is it (f/n)?" He was distracted by your interjection. 

"Your clothes Gray, your clothes.." You shook your head in disappointment. Gray looked down.

"Shit! Not again." He covered his family jewels and went off to search for his missing clothes.

"So Gajeel," you turned to your guild companion. "What's really  wrong with Natsu?" 

A sadistic smile spread across his face, "It's getting close to THAT time of year." His emphasizing  of 'that' worried you. 

"I don't think I understand what you're saying." Many questions popped into your head. What does he mean? What time of year is it? It's spring right?  He laughed at the confused look on your face.

"It's getting close to mating season short-stack." He explained. His words seemed so peculiar to you. You couldn't help but burst out laughing. You had tears streaming down your face, because you laughed so hard.

"Like for animals?" You questioned between breaths, causing you to laugh even harder this time.

"He's a dragon slayer idiot," he knocked you on the head, acting as if what he was saying was common knowledge. "Technically he's part dragon, and dragons go through mating season. Dragon slayers go through a less extreme version of this. It's like a fated soulmate.

"Everyone needs to be careful around him," he paused to collect his thoughts. "because we can get a bit violent during mating season"

 "What do you mean 'a bit violent?" you asked, despite Gajeels reluctance. He seemed uncomfortable talking about this with you.

"Well we're not always violent, only when someone gets in the way or threatens the mating. If that happens Natsu could destroy the guild. Basically dragon slayers become jealous, horny freaks." He said with ease.

Your face turned a millions shades of red. You took peek over at Natsu, still sitting on the other side of the room. He was watching Gajeel and you intently. When you made eye contact you turned away quickly.

Suddenly Gajeel had a grim expression on his face. "This could become very dangerous situation (f/n). He could seriously injure her." You ached with worry. He gave you a soft smile and continued talking. "That's why starting tomorrow, Natsu will be locked up in gramps's office." This must really be dangerous if gramps has to lock that idiot up.

"What about you Gajeel?" You had a sly grin on your face. His eyes widened, and his pale skin flushed red.

"W-Well I'm already mated." He turned his head away. Trying to find something to direct the conversation away from him. It  looks like he finally grew a pair and did the deed.

"Who is your mate Gajeel? Levyyy?" You laughed viciously. His squeamishness told you that you were  right.

"Shut up." He grumbled.

Looks like I never had a chance with Natsu after all. Your thoughts drifted to the heartbreaking thought. You had been "secretly" in love with him for years, but never acted on it. 

"Who is Natsus mate?" You fished for information. Instantly regretting you asked. Your eyes drifted back to Natsu. He was still staring at you and Gajeel.

"Gramps and I narrowed it down," He said. "It's either Lissana, blondie over there" He directed his attention to Lucy.

Lissana or Lucy huh?  Your mood tanked. You knew Natsu only thought of you as his precious nakama, but it hurt to have it confirmed. You knew that he and Lucy were really close, closer than you and him. The same could be said for Lissana. With those two in the race, all odds stacked against you. 

"So what does that mean?" You asked, evidently annoyed with your horrible luck.

"Well it means we all have to keep a close watch on those two, until we identify who his mate really is." He sounded like he was ready to move on. You decided to stop asking questions.

 "Thanks Gajeel." You muttered, and walked away. You wanted to go check on your favorite pink haired idiot. 

He still sat alone at the wooden table. As you approached him, you noticed the sweat beads running down his face. His entire body was rigid. He looked so deep in thought, you almost aborted your mission to avoid disturbing him. 

"Hey hot head," you took a seat across from him. "You doing okay?" He ignored you. This annoyed you. All you wanted to do was help him. You couldn't be in his life romantically, but you still wanted to help him have a successful mating season. But he rudely brushed you off, leaving you to listen to the chatter of everyone else. You grabbed his face and made him look at you. Even though it was  "mating season" you weren't going to let his pissy attitude slide that easily. His face was extremely hot, and turned redder under your fingers. 

"Go away." He growled darkly.

That hurt your already broken heart. Your feelings were written across your face. "Fuck you too Natsu." You got up to leave. He flinched at your words

 "I'm sorry (f/n), if you don't go I don't think I'll be able to restrain myself much longer. Please

stay away." He whispered lowly, watching you walk away.  Unfortunately for you, you didn't hear his warning, and were left unaware of what mating season had in store for you.

Please vote, comment, and follow me!