47- Not Mine

Maduka's POV~

No one has seen her.

I suck in a deep breath and pace underneath the mango trees close to my parents' graves.

The sun had set over an hour ago, the sky is dark, dotted by stars and a full moon, which gives everything a soft glow. Crickets are chirping, the breeze is cooler now, and the leaves make soft, rustling sounds as they dance, excited by the movement of the air.

It is past 8:00pm.

After I had gone to Daa Ndidi's kitchen to spend some time with her, I had returned to the bungalow and Nwanyieze hadn't been there. My phone had been lying there on the bed, hers as well. Everything had been in order, except for her towel lying in a heap on the floor.

Maybe she hurried out to find me. Or she's gone out to spend some time with the young girls again, I thought.

But she had been nowhere in both compounds. Everyone I asked, had claimed not to have seen her. I had stood by the road outside the compound, looking left and right for a glimpse of her. After half an hour, I had gotten into my car, not wanting to alert those in the compound.

How can she just go off like that, in a place she doesn't know? I had wondered.

I had driven around the parts of the village I knew, murmuring to myself like a mad man. Worse, I had no idea what exactly she was wearing; I couldn't remember the outfit she'd chosen for the day.

She'll come back. She's safe. Nothing happened to her.

My uncle had come back from his farm and asked of Nwanyieze, and I had replied that she went out for a walk and would be home soon.

That was when it was still bright, after 5:00pm. Daa Ndidi senses my worry and joins me under the trees.

"Nna, did you offend her?" she asks gently.

"No, Daa. Everything was fine before I left."

My aunt remains silent for a minute. "She's such a good girl."

"Yes she is, Daa. It's unlike her to disappear like this. I don't know how Nwanyieze can just do this, especially as this place is still strange to her."

"Treat her like an egg, nna. Inugo?"

I smile in the semi-darknes. "Yes, Daa."

"I'll boil some yam for you both. You have refused to eat the ofe Owerre because Nwanyieze isn't around."

I had wanted her to eat with me, and since her abrupt disappearance, my appetite has fled. My chest constricts, and I suck in a huge breath. Daa Ndidi senses my anxiety and rubs my arm.

"She will come back. Just don't shout at her."

I nod in reply and she walks away, leaving me sitting on the small bench.

Just don't shout at her.

Oh, I will try not to. How will I keep the anger out of my voice? The fear that something might have happened to her? Does she not know how scared I am for her here, where the death of my family is still a mystery to me?

How do I kiss her and shake her shoulders at the same time, though?

She is stubborn. That is acknowledged. She is also unpredictable, wilful and strong of character. What she wants to do, no one can stop her.

My phone vibrates, for the millionth time. I answer the call and tell Tasha in a low, barely controlled voice, that I am busy and will call her later.