Chapter Four

Jumoke

"Good morning class," the Biology teacher, Mr. Alfred, walked in, with books in his left hand and a whiteboard marker on his right.

"Good morning, Mr. Alfred," we chorused.

He dropped his books on the table in front of the class. "Bring out your note." He turned to the board and wrote the date and the topic: Cells as a Living Unit of an Organism.
He had fine cursive writing.

"So, who can define a cell?" He asked, his loud voice echoing.

Abraham raised his hand.

"Yes?"

"According to the  essential biology textbook....."

"Arrrggghhh," the whole class grumbled. Did we ask this boy for the textbook in which he saw the definition?

"Will you all shut up! Why didn't you raise your hand to answer the question?" Mr. Alfred was furious. "Abraham, continue."

"A cell is defined as the structural and functional unit of a living organism."

"Very good, a round of applause for him."
They clapped lazily, Kunle was clapping like thunder. For me, I clapped well.

Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla
Finally, the Biology teacher was through with explaining.
"Our next topic is the history of cells. You guys should read ahead, you'll be the one teaching me, am I clear?"

"Yes, sir!"

"Good day, class."

"Good day, sir!"

As soon as Mr. Alfred walked out of the class, Elizabeth walked in.

Why did she come very late today?

"Liz, why are you so late?" Kunle was about to begin his daily routine.

"What's your business?" She walked majestically to her seat, dropped her bag, and high-fived her gangs.

"Can't I ask a question? I was just trying to be a classmate's keeper."

"I don't need it." She fired.

Just then, the bell was rung.

"Ahn Ahn, what's the bell for? They rang it not quite long,"  Yemi said, standing up and checking the assembly ground.

The timekeeper was still ringing. It dawned on us. Emergency bell!

We hurriedly ran out.
When the emergency bell is rung, it means they need our attention to something or some changes or something bad has been done.

In minutes, the assembly ground was filled with students, both juniors and seniors.
The sun was baking hot, so we decided to stay under the tree on the assembly ground.

The principal walked to the podium with the mic in his hands.
"Stop the noise, we didn't call you here to make noise. Prefects, organize them."

The prefects organize the students, of course, with canes in their hands.
Crystal high school students are very stubborn.

"Good morning, students," the principal's loud voice was heard.

"Good morning, sir."

"Sorry for disturbing your classes, this warning goes to the boarders, and the day students should also listen. Now do you see these two idiots," he pointed at the two boys, their heads bowed in shame. I didn't see them there before.

"The two idiots sneaked out of the hostel and went out for clubbing."

"Ahhhhh," the students gasped.

"Quiet!" The principal barked and went on, "Unfortunately, there was a riot in the club and the police came and got all of them arrested. If we didn't receive a call from the police officer, we wouldn't know where they are and their parents will start panicking. Now, this is a warning to all of you. If you are ever caught in acts like smoking or clubbing, consider yourself in hot pepper soup. Most of you here are not up to 18, so why should you engage in such acts?  So, they are hereby suspended for four weeks."

"Eeyah, why did they sneak out?" I muttered pitifully.

"Who sent them? They deserve whatever punishment was given to them." Chioma said.

"You can all go back to your classes, in an orderly manner," the principal said, making emphasis on the 'orderly'.

We strolled back to our classes, talking about the situation. We met our Agric teacher, Mrs. Afolayan, already writing on the board.

"Sit down fast and write this note, I don't have time to waste," she said, turning back to the board to continue writing.

*******

We had already closed from school, Chioma, Sandra, Folake, and I were trekking home. I left my brother in school, cos they had after-school lessons.

"Jerome is coming tomorrow," Elizabeth squeaked.

This Jerome guy again? What's in this guy sef that's shacking everybody?

We all turned to look at her and her gangs consisting of Shalom, Rita, and Faith. They named themselves ElShaRiF.

I rolled my eyes.

"Hey, Jumoke don't start," Liz warned. Like I was scared of her...duh.

"Who has your time? Please, free me."

She hissed and turned to her gang. "Girls, let's wear make-up tomorrow. We won't make it obvious so that those amebo teachers won't notice."

Because of one boy. This girl is officially mad!

"Chineke," Chioma exclaimed, clapping her hands dramatically.
You trust Igbo girls.

The ElShaRiF walked past us angrily, forcefully wiggling their flat butts.

We continued our trekking and bade ourselves goodbyes when we reached our houses.