Chapter Thirty four

Jumoke

Second term of the session passed in a blur and the third term resumed last week.

The SSS3 students became more serious because they were to write their WAEC this term.

My dad seized Tunde's phone,his laptop and all other electronic gadgets. Tunde became more serious, not that he wasn't serious before, he just got more serious than he used to be.
Dad threatened that if he didn't pass well, he would take him to the village.

"Good morning students," The principal's loud voice boomed.
The once noisy assembly ground became as quiet as a graveyard.

"Good morning sir," we chorused.

"How are y'all?"

"Fine, thank you sir."

"As y'all know, the seniors are writing their final exams very soon, so we need to free them from their duties. Acting prefects will be chosen by your class teachers once you enter in the class. If your name's called....assemble at my office when it's break time. Is that clear?"

"Yes sir."

"March quietly to your classes. I don't want to hear noise from any class. Assembly prefect, give us a marching song."

                           * * *

"Settle down, settle down, please. If you hear your name, stand up." Our class teacher brought out a piece of paper from her bag.
"Adekunle Adeosun, Oghenetega Williams, Samuelson Henry, Kalu Abraham, Osagie Noah and Adeola Jumoke."

God!
I don't want to be a prefect!!

I stood up unwillingly.

"Since Noah as been chosen as an acting prefect, he can't be the class captain anymore. Class, who do you want as your captain?"

Everybody started talking at once like barbarians.

"I don't want noise. Raise your hand to nominate someone. Yes, Kunle?"

"I nominate Chioma."

"I nominate Elizabeth," Faith said and everybody hissed.

We would rather not have class captain at all than letting this one be our captain.

"OK...OK...let's vote. If you want Elizabeth, raise your hand."

Only her crew raised their hands and that caused everyone to laugh. Aside from he friends, Liz doesn't have any supporters.

"If you want Chioma, raise your hand."
And of course, everybody raised their hand....who doesn't like Chioma?

"OK, then. Chioma is our new captain. So, Chioma, choose your assistant."

"Ummm.....Sandra?"

"Good. Chioma is the captain, Sandra is the assistant. Have a nice day,class."

"Miss Captain," I teased.

"Shut up," she rolled her eyes playfully.

                            * * *

(Break time)

Henry had been so out of this planet since morning. He barely talked to anyone, not even me. He just remained on his seat, writing.

I noticed his hair cut. It was ah-mazing. His hair was now full and darker and styled into Afro. The hairstyle complemented his well sculptured face.

It was break time already and the principal asked us to assemble at his office.

"Hi," I greeted Henry.