18. Trickery

Rhythmic beeping was muffled outside of my head, and I felt the distinct sensation of discomfort. Rough fabric scratched my skin, too warm over my clothes. Dull throbbing in my left forearm pulled me out of the empty darkness of my mind. Steady beeping came into earshot, and kept pace with my heart. Heaviness in my muscles and my eyelids prevented me from fully awakening, so I stayed, floating in a serene abyss of ignorance.

Serenity.

Energy surged through my veins. I remembered the menace hidden in tranquility, though I couldn’t pick out where I’d gotten the memory.

It took a little while for me to force my eyes open, especially as the sunlight burned and stung at them. Finally, the world came into focus, and I was in an empty room. The clean, sterile smell of the room seared my nose, with the undertone of illness carefully smothered by it.

A hospital, the word came to mind instantly.

No one was around. I was alone. Gingerly, I sat up, peering at the clock through my swimming eyes. Surprisingly, it was only six o’clock, or thereabout. Slow memories returned to me, gently, instead of ramming themselves into my mind.

How was I going to get out of here? I was a minor. I lay back against the stiff pillows with a sigh.

“Good evening, Miss Anthony.”

I looked up as a doctor strode into the room, her hair was pulled back from a soft intelligent face, and she wore a white coat that swished around her willowy figure. Apprehension rose in my stomach. I couldn’t explain why I didn’t have a parent or guardian. If someone could tell me, though, then I’d be very grateful.

Thankfully, my heart rate stayed the same, or my nervousness would be apparent.

“How’re you feeling?”

I swallowed my unease, took a deep breath, “Alright.” The unspoken question in my voice was obvious, hopefully to her as well as me.

“My name’s Dr. Ashburn,” She began, “Your friends called in and told us that you’d passed out and hadn’t returned to consciousness after two minutes.”

Friends? I only remembered Jenna being there before I fainted.

“Has this happened before?”

“Once before, yes, but I woke up pretty soon after.”

Dr. Ashburn wrote down something, supposedly what I’d just told her. “Well, we suspect you went into shock, Miss James told us that you saw your dog get hit by a car today, and that he didn’t survive.” She paused for a second as I nodded hesitantly, “And that you’ve been acting strange lately.”

Again, I nodded, unsure of what else to say.

“Are you on any medication?”

“No.”

She scribbled down something, and then looked up, “While you were out, your vitals were fine, and they still are, I believe that you were probably overwhelmed and went into shock.”

Now came, the part when I lost my way. I needed to be discharged, but I didn’t have a guardian. Couldn’t I just have a break? The constant onslaught of problems was really grating on my nerves.

“We just need you to sign these papers for us, and then you can go.”

My dread was erased by sudden surprise, “I’m sorry?”

“You’re legally emancipated, right? So you can sign these and then you can go.”

I fought down the confusion that threatened my facial features, “Okay,” I replied, taking the papers before she left.