five

After Rowan let go of the kiss that might as well have lasted forever, she pulled the guy (whom I suspected to be Cameron) into another tight embrace, probably not even realizing that I was in the same room as them.

"Aren't they just the cutest couple you've ever seen?" Rowan's mother, though her voice was soft and gentle, startled me, causing me to jump in surprise.

"Yeah," I answered, trying to hide the irritation in my voice. My eyes stayed on them, even though Rowan's mum was probably looking at me at the moment and expected me to stare back. "They're adorable."

"Oh!" Rowan squeaked, snapping me out of my irritated state. "Cameron, I have to introduce you to someone. I can't believe I forgot." As she spoke, she led Cameron towards me with her hand, holding onto it with a firm grip. "Cameron, this is Harry. Harry, meet Cameron."

Cameron smiled at me and extended his arm, expecting a hand shake out of me. I reluctantly grasped it and shook it, forcing a smile as I did.

"It's nice to meet you," I said, starting off the conversation. "I'm Harry Styles."

"Cameron Steele," he introduced himself. His eyes made contact with my very own, they showed emotion, and not the good kind; he may have been smiling, but his eyes told me a completely different story. I'm not going to lie, I felt intimidated by him, and I hated that feeling. "Rowan told me quite a bit about you actually."

"Really? I asked, finally letting go of the awkward hand shake. My eyes briefly shifted to where Rowan was standing, and it was pretty hard not to notice her smile, since it stood out from everything else in the room. "Well, I'm glad I have a friend like her then."

Silence followed my words. Nobody spoke for a while, not even Rowan; even though she was smiling brightly, she still refrained from speaking.

I took a good look at this Cameron lad for most of that period of silence. He had blonde hair that swept over half of his forehead, and grey eyes that shared the same shade as rain clouds. He looked like a school boy almost, dressed in a polo shirt and shit. But he is good-looking, no wonder Rowan went for him.

"Kids!" Rowan's mother called from the kitchen. It almost seemed as if she had teleported, mostly because I hadn't even noticed that she had left the hallway. "Dinner's ready!"

"Oh, dinner!" Cameron said, displaying a smile. "I'm starving!" And with that he walked past me, bumping his shoulder into mine harshly. The contact made me lose my balance briefly, but I regained it in no time. Rowan didn't notice this though, and that disappointed me.

Once Cameron was completely out of sight, Rowan was about to follow him, her stunning smile present as she did. But I held my arm out, bringing her to a halt before she could get past me.

"Rowan wait, I need to talk to you."

"What's wrong Harry?" Rowan asked in an innocent voice, her smile dropping by only millimeters.

I cleared my throat. "Why didn't you tell me you had a boyfriend?" My voice quivered, anyone could tell that I was hurt.

"What, are you jealous?" She asked, in a teasing voice, her eyes beginning to squint in suspicion.

My eyes widened, and then I shook my head. I actually think I shook it a little too fast. "What? No, of course not! I just thought that would have been a good piece of information for me to know."

She scoffed. "I'm pretty sure I mentioned Cameron at some point in our friendship."

I shook my head. "No, you didn't."

"Yeah I did." I shook my head once again. "I didn't? Really? Oh, well, my bad."

"Yeah," I said, rolling my eyes. My confidence was boosting slightly, and I liked it. "Your bad."