FOUR

CLYDE

"Don't do it. He's a narc. Whole thing's a set up."

Drug Bust was written all over the man Aspen claims to be his bookie the moment we drove into Lotus' parking lot. It didn't take long to locate him. Khaki pants and a tucked in polo shirt? Yeah, props to him for trying to blend in at a fucking nightclub. I'm not sure whether he's really that oblivious or if he's really that careless. Leaning against a black sedan doesn't help his case either.

"What? I put five grand on this, man. I can't lose this."

"Look, I'm telling you. If you step out of this car and go and meet with shady guy over there, cops will be all over you in a nanosecond." I glance at Bookie guy and yep, he's looking around like he's waiting for shit to go down.

Aspen shakes his head. "No. No, you must be wrong. What if—"

"I'm going to say this and I'm not going to say it again. That guy is setting you up. The moment he hands you whatever package he's got, police will swarm over the area and arrest you. Is that what you want to happen?"

He doesn't answer. Instead, he looks conflicted, perhaps trying to gauge his options. Which unfortunately, he doesn't have because we both know jail time equals him being on the receiving end of our father's wrath.

"Come on, I'll buy us drinks."

He doesn't argue. Just gets out of the car and follows me into the club like a good little puppy. Once inside, we head upstairs to the bar up there. We find James working behind the bar and I waste no time in placing our order.

"Patrön on rocks and. . ." I glance at Aspen. "Apple juice for him."

He flips me off. "You're underage too, jackass. Jack and Coke."

"I just saved you from going to juvie. A thank you would be nice," I tell him. "Why would you even put five grand on that shit?"

He pulls a face at me. "To get a car. A Ferrari."

"Which game were you betting on?"

"Giants versus Pats and before you ask, my money was on the Giants."

"They lost."

"How'd you know that?"

Now it's my turn to pull a face at him. "Social media."

"Fuck." He shoves his hands into his hair and groans in frustration. I would too if I find out that my five thousand dollars went down the drain.

"Tough luck, kid." I give his shoulder an encouraging squeeze. James comes back with our drinks and I push his glass in front of him. "Have some apple juice."

He looks at the glass then at me and the words come tumbling out of his mouth in sheer disbelief. "Apple juice, really?"

"I wasn't kidding," I say. "Now drink up. It'll make you feel better."

"I fucking hate you right now." He drinks it anyway.

"Yeah, right." I smile. "There's no way I'm spending more than fifty bucks on you."

"Wade's going to kill me."

"That was his money you used?"

"Yes. Got five grand to spare?"

I give him a blank look.

He nods. "Got it."

"You have a gambling problem, man."

"You think?"

"Then tell dad and seek help. Shit's not good for you."

He finishes up his drink in one gulp. "Know what, figure out the rest of your night. I'm gone."